quadra fire castille insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
my father has a quadra fire castille insert and he is having problems with build up on the burn pot he said it is like a carbon but not hard enough to be clinkers. i think it has to deal with air flow but i am not sure. the problem is with the build up the flame gets really high and a censor trips and shuts his stove down. this seems to happen a few times a week . any help or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

I have the same stove, and I need to shut it down at least once a day to clean the firepot. It seems no matter brand of pellets I burn, I still need to do this. Also, how long has the stove been running since it was last serviced? There could be ash build up in the flue.

I have the free standing Castille, new this year, and my stove has the same issue. You have to shut the stove down and clean the burn pot once a day.The igniter gets covered with ash and blocks ignition after a day of use. I have been told by the dealer(he installed it) that this is normal. It's not a huge problem and I believe that's why the pull handle was developed. I still like the stove in spite of this.

I use to have a lot of clinkers. also i found my ash pan door was not assembled correctly the door was "loose "when closed, i found the latch assembly was inncorrect
put the right way now, it ,the flame is like a torch.

Same here. If you go in and scrape the burn pot daily and ensure all the holes are clear as well to include the slot in front where the igniter is and give it a quick vacuum then you should be ok. I use a sharp wood chisel to scrape the base (sliding steel door) nice and smooth. It's what I call the "tar" buildup on the base of the burn pot that needs to be kept in check.

Steve

It sounds like we are all doing the same thing. I started using a wood chisel on the burn pot of my Enviro Meridian(A.K.A VF-100) last year. But my Castille came with a scraper tool, which is making me think Quadrafire is adapting to their product.

Enviro VF100, Quadrafire Castille, 7 tons of pellets (3.5 used) , 35 gallons of #2 oil used since last april.

matt85bears said:
my father has a quadra fire castille insert and he is having problems with build up on the burn pot he said it is like a carbon but not hard enough to be clinkers. i think it has to deal with air flow but i am not sure. the problem is with the build up the flame gets really high and a censor trips and shuts his stove down. this seems to happen a few times a week . any help or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

That is not normal. Its is an airflow problem. The stove needs to be fully cleaned. When was the last time the top and rear baffles were removed and cleaned behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.