Quadra Fire Castille Upkeep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevekng

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2007
Central Maine
I thought I would post a problem I had with my Castille, which was new last June. I figured I had all the bases covered by cleaning my Castille and using a leaf blower, as a vacuum, on the outside of the chimney plus spraying the inside of the burn area with Pam to keep rust from forming.
Well, the device for getting the ashes into the ashpan was rusted solid. All the other steps I took worked fine. It took some doing with a brass punch and dead-blow hammer but I finally got it free. I haven't seen this addressed on the forum before so hopefully this will be of help to someone

Was it rusted or just full of crud? I find them at service calls usually jammed shut with crud. A good scraping of the floor will free it up. Homeowners will say it kept getting harder and harder to open, and I tell them... well when it STARTS to get hard to open then its time to scrape the bottom out good.

Nope... it was rust. I completely cleaned the bottom of the burn pot before shutting down last May.
I had a mirror and inspected the unit with the ash pan removed and it was rusted solid.
BTW... By new last June, I meant to say it was new June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.