Quadra-Fire CB1200 not heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boobou69

Dec 6, 2008
Montreal
I had a Quadra-Fire CB1200 installed this fall, had problems with chimney(blocked chimney, caused the stove to shut off, blacked out the glass in less than two hours), settled the chimney problem....but now the stove doesn't give enough heat, at the max setting, basement is at 70F, could it be a blower problem, could it be a build up on the heat exchange tubes....any suggestions would be great....

thanks....

boobou69

I have a quad cb1200i (insert), and I have no problem with it. When the stove is running on it on High for about 5 minutes is your flame height peak 6-7 inches out of the firepot? When kind of pellets are you burning? Do you hear and feel the fan come on after the stove reaches temp?

Chris

boobou69 said:
I had a Quadra-Fire CB1200 installed this fall, had problems with chimney(blocked chimney, caused the stove to shut off, blacked out the glass in less than two hours), settled the chimney problem....but now the stove doesn't give enough heat, at the max setting, basement is at 70F, could it be a blower problem, could it be a build up on the heat exchange tubes....any suggestions would be great....

thanks....

boobou69

flames are 5-7 inches high, and the blower seems to be working. as for the pellets, i am using Ambiance (Lac Megantic, Quebec)

My house is +/- 2400 sq. ft, stove is installed in basement, there is a central (open) staircase leading up to the ground floor. I have to use electric heat on the ground floor.

chris,

what size is your hous and does your stove heat the entire house?

thanks....

Boobou69

If the chimney was the only thing you took care of after this:

"I had a Quadra-Fire CB1200 installed this fall, had problems with chimney(blocked chimney, caused the stove to shut off, blacked out the glass in less than two hours), settled the chimney problem..."

I'd say that your stove likely has a bad case of soot pneumonia and needs a good dose of leaf blower, brush, and shop vac your choice on removing the mess from your heat exchanger, ash traps, combustion blower, and exhaust path within the stove.

I'm not sure i understand you completely....the basement is at 70 degrees F, but the upstairs is cold/ Are you complaining about the basement temp, or the upstairs temp?

Just incase your referring to the upstairs temp, basement stove installs DO NOT do well heating upper floors. Many people think the heat will just go up the stairwell, but most of the time, it won't. These stoves are basically big room heaters.

Now if your complaint is that the basement won't get over 70, then you'd need to explain your set-up...is the basement finished & insulated? How many sq. ft is it? How many bags of pellets have you run through the stove? How often do you clean it? Etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.