quadra fire classic bay shutting off at night?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rummy5

Dec 23, 2012
Good morning. Total newbie to heating our home other than with oil, but having a problem at night. We have a separate thermostat set in the 2nd floor hallway (only 5 steps up) from location of stove. Woke up last two mornings in 55 degree house. Stove is not kicking on in middle of night. Is there a recommended heat/blower setting we should have it on? Could our flame level be too low? We did a direct vent right outside. Thermostat works during the day. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Is the Red light (call light) still on when the stove is off?

What heat setting are you running on now?

Where is your feed gate? Dis you set the flame height to 4"-6" above the pot, on High, per the manual?

The call.light is the important factor here. Please note whether or not that light is still lit?

We have a separate thermostat for the pellet stove. Our other thermostat is hooked up to the boiler. We have that set at 55.

I think the flame does need to be higher. 4-6 inches above the pot?

Yes the call light is on in the morning, just no flame or heat. We have it set to low heat/low blower at night. Although I believe we had it set on low blower/medium last night.

Thanks again for your help!

How do you start up after the stove has shut down?
When the stove is off and red light is on try this: open hopper door and open the feed gate a bit. If you hear pellets dropping, the pellets are bridging over the opening and you aren't getting pellets to the auger chute. This is a common issue with the CB1200.

Good morning. Total newbie to heating our home other than with oil, but having a problem at night. We have a separate thermostat set in the 2nd floor hallway (only 5 steps up) from location of stove. Woke up last two mornings in 55 degree house. Stove is not kicking on in middle of night. Is there a recommended heat/blower setting we should have it on? Could our flame level be too low? We did a direct vent right outside. Thermostat works during the day. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

How old is the stove?

If it has the older version control box, then the exhaust blower does not run on high during the startup cycle. If there are any vacuum leaks such as door gasket or plugged or broker vacuum line, then it may not start in the colder weather. I suggest checking the door seal and vacuum switch and hose and maybe updating the control box if it is the older non clear plastic box.

Reactions: SwineFlue
Had the same problem with mine when I started burning this season. I opened my feed gate a 1/2" to 3/4" more and it has not given me a problem since. Not sure if it was due to a new season and new pellets or what, but that did it. May not be your problem but just a thought

Open feed gate. To little fuel.

Run stove on high, with gate wide open. Close gate, 1/4"-1/2" every 10 minutes (allow time for fuel change to take place). Once a 4"-6" flame is established, set to desired heat setting.

Open feed gate. To little fuel.

Run stove on high, with gate wide open. Close gate, 1/4"-1/2" every 10 minutes (allow time for fuel change to take place). Once a 4"-6" flame is established, set to desired heat setting.

Thanks...will try that. Stove is brand new. Just have to find the right settings I guess.

How do you start up after the stove has shut down?
When the stove is off and red light is on try this: open hopper door and open the feed gate a bit. If you hear pellets dropping, the pellets are bridging over the opening and you aren't getting pellets to the auger chute. This is a common issue with the CB1200.

We just hit the reset button to restart.

According to the manual, to start and fully "prime" the auger tube, you have to hit the reset button twice.
Hit it once to start and then again after you hear pellets dropping. Could possibly be the problem with stove going out at night.
Also check the wire connections to the snap disks. Specifically disk 2. Mine had various issues and was able to determine that the connections were loose.

If the stove is running? Then the auger is primed.

The only time you should have to hit reset is when it runs out of pellets

According to the manual, to start and fully "prime" the auger tube, you have to hit the reset button twice.
Hit it once to start and then again after you hear pellets dropping. Could possibly be the problem with stove going out at night.
Also check the wire connections to the snap disks. Specifically disk 2. Mine had various issues and was able to determine that the connections were loose.

It dosen't make sense to me either but I have even tried it both ways and it does make a difference. Just went bak and played the dvd that came with the stove and it states that you need to push the reset button every 2 minutes until pellets drop. Then push it one more time. This is for a new start with an empty hopper/tube.

It dosen't make sense to me either but I have even tried it both ways and it does make a difference. Just went bak and played the dvd that came with the stove and it states that you need to push the reset button every 2 minutes until pellets drop. Then push it one more time. This is for a new start with an empty hopper/tube.

Right, but his stove is shutting down "After" its been running.

If he ran out of fuel it would be that. But waking up to a stove thats not running with pellets in the hopper and call.light on, does not need a reset.

The stove either wasn't getting enough pellets (open gate) or the T/C isnt reading the temp (tip of T/C needs to touch the inside of ceramic cover and the ceramic cover needs to stick out into the pot so flame can hit it.

What does your flame look like on high?

I had a problem with mine shutting down, it was a combination of not enough pellets and the trap door into the ash pan not being closed.

To the OP, be aware that setting the flame height to 4-6" on HIGH is something you will have to repeat if you change pellet brands or batches of the same pellets OR if you see a change in pellet length. I had the same problem with both of my stoves too and had to open the feed gate to get enough pellets to make it through the initial startup feed. One other thing that caused me problems was a batch of low density pellets, meaning instead of 3 five gallon buckets per bag, I got 4 buckets full!!! So even with the same feed rate, I had essentially less 'fuel' to burn.

Opening the gate a little more will probably solve your problem.

Well?? Did it make it through the night?

You never mentioned what heat setting you were running on?

I run on Low with the Gate wide open. Missed starts are a mythical thing. Only to be read about on here :)

Running on Medium, I would probably set the gate according to Manufacturers recommendations. On High, I certainly would.
But on low, I want max BTU and let the stove run longer (less cycling and more even heat when doing Low and Slow. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.