Quadra Fire Classic Bay vs Englander 10-CPM Which one would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpink

Sep 20, 2010
Northern New Jersey
My neighbor came by to look at the pellet stove over the holidays. His wife now wants one. He currently has a wood stove on the main floor but it doesn't heat the upstairs very well. His home has electric heat which he currently pays $500 plus a month to warm the house.

The stoves he is considering are the Quadra Fire Classic Bay and the Englander 10-CPM. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to which stove is better and why?

Thanks

Kevin C said:
My neighbor came by to look at the pellet stove over the holidays. His wife now wants one. He currently has a wood stove on the main floor but it doesn't heat the upstairs very well. His home has electric heat which he currently pays $500 plus a month to warm the house.

The stoves he is considering are the Quadra Fire Classic Bay and the Englander 10-CPM. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to which stove is better and why?

Thanks

Sorry Mike,
I like the QuadraFire. Have installed 6-8 of them this season and they are running great, knock on wood. The Classic Bay has a huge (well made) door with three panes of glass to view the fire. The burn pot is round and does have a lever to drop the bottom to remove clinkers. The heat exchangers are huge and have independent cleaning scrapers. the entire stove will open up (sides and top) in a matter of seconds without the use of tools. HUGE ashpan with great adjustable fastners along with the three pane glass door. The hopper take a bag and a half. Anything else rattle my cage and I will help explain.

Eric

+1 for Quadrafire. I just got a CB 1200i last week and (after figuring out we didn't have the door closed tight enough) we love it. The hopper holds a little more than a full bag of pellets. We set the thermostat and forget it until it's time to re-fuel or dump the fire pot. We have a 1950 1673/sq ft house heated with propane. After spending over $2,000 last year on fuel I'm glad we bought the stove. So far the propane really only kicks on when we're cleanimg the stove. Take that Amerigas!

joshw0000 said:
+1 for Quadrafire. I just got a CB 1200i last week and (after figuring out we didn't have the door closed tight enough) we love it. The hopper holds a little more than a full bag of pellets. We set the thermostat and forget it until it's time to re-fuel or dump the fire pot. We have a 1950 1673/sq ft house heated with propane. After spending over $2,000 last year on fuel I'm glad we bought the stove. So far the propane really only kicks on when we're cleanimg the stove. Take that Amerigas!

+1 for the Quadrafire. Did they send you the minimum use fee for the propane yet?

Another for the 1200. I Own the freestanding and as said before the maintenance is easy. Very User friendly stove. No adjusting any dampers. The hopper is larger than the Englander's. No frills stove with Great Heat output. I'm heating a tad over 2,000 Sq ft 3 bedroom Ranch. 2 bags a day. 75 degrees. (68 in bedrooms). Over 2 years and no Problems. Knock on Wood!! In the process of looking for another burner myself for my basement/bar area. Wife wants the Sante Fe. As long as I can get another one, I'm not gonna complain. Best Wishes for their purchase. Whatever "they" buy, I'm sure "they'll" love.

DexterDay said:
Another for the 1200. I Own the freestanding and as said before the maintenance is easy. Very User friendly stove. No adjusting any dampers. The hopper is larger than the Englander's. No frills stove with Great Heat output. I'm heating a tad over 2,000 Sq ft 3 bedroom Ranch. 2 bags a day. 75 degrees. (68 in bedrooms). Over 2 years and no Problems. Knock on Wood!! In the process of looking for another burner myself for my basement/bar area. Wife wants the Sante Fe. As long as I can get another one, I'm not gonna complain. Best Wishes for their purchase. Whatever "they" buy, I'm sure "they'll" love.

I will work you a hearth.com special deal on a Santa Fe. Sorry you missed the sale yesterday, it was the, "almost free sale".

Call me
Eric
330-448-0300

turbotech said:
joshw0000 said:

+1 for the Quadrafire. Did they send you the minimum use fee for the propane yet?

We've only had out stove for a week. I'll make sure I use 100 gallons a year but I'd like to keep it at just that...100 gallons. As opposed to about 700 gallons.

CB1200 for sure !!

Well, all the quad owners are crowing....I'll just put my little 2 cents into the discussion. You can tell from my signature what stove I have.
The Quad is certainly a nice stove, and should work just fine.

But just remember, all stoves at one time or another, develop "problems". And if the Quad does (and I see MANY threads from CB1200 owners on here asking for help), and the other forum members can't figure out what's wrong, please let me know when the Quad Senior tech comes on the forum to help you out (like on a Friday night before a long weekend, etc).....oh wait....that's right, there is nobody from Quad that does that. Hopefully, Eric at Kinsman stoves will give you a hand.....he's the man!

And if there are any Quad owners who'd like to "step up to the plate" and try to beat this, be my guest. If that stove can endure this and keep starting & burning & putting out good heat, it's gotta be pretty good:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62598/

Thanks for all the input. I think he is leaning towards the Quad.

Happy Quad CB1200i owner here. Take that some more Amerigas!!
First season with the stove and already burned 1 ton like a charm. Heating main floor and second floor with no problems. It is an easy maintenance / cleaning stove.

imacman said:
Well, all the quad owners are crowing....I'll just put my little 2 cents into the discussion. You can tell from my signature what stove I have.
The Quad is certainly a nice stove, and should work just fine.

But just remember, all stoves at one time or another, develop "problems". And if the Quad does (and I see MANY threads from CB1200 owners on here asking for help), and the other forum members can't figure out what's wrong, please let me know when the Quad Senior tech comes on the forum to help you out (like on a Friday night before a long weekend, etc).....oh wait....that's right, there is nobody from Quad that does that. Hopefully, Eric at Kinsman stoves will give you a hand.....he's the man!

And if there are any Quad owners who'd like to "step up to the plate" and try to beat this, be my guest. If that stove can endure this and keep starting & burning & putting out good heat, it's gotta be pretty good:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62598/

And the count is still growing.

Eric

Burned a Quad for almost 8 years. Good stove BUT! Two words "Pellet Picky" Something you will not get from a multifueler.

10-CPM would be my vote. :)

j-takeman said:
Burned a Quad for almost 8 years. Good stove BUT! Two words "Pellet Picky" Something you will not get from a multifueler.

10-CPM would be my vote. :)

True. The Englander control boxes are much better than the Quadrafire boxes. The simple quad box without any fine tune adjustments make it "pellet picky". The ESW unit wins hands down in that area. It being a multi-fueler is another win.
The quad gets win for the heat exchanger. Hhmm, maybe I am favoring the ESW unit?

I've had the CB1200 for a few years now and it's pretty trouble-free. I was disappointed to find out (after having been misled by my dealer) that the quad is made in China.

This year I had to change the ignitor for the first time.

The paint is flaking off of the door in one corner and looks pretty lousy. Probably due for a new door gasket soon because it's fraying.

If I burn hardwood pellets the "easy clean" pot cleaning lever can't be operated without chiseling out the deposits first... Not so easy...
If I burn softwoods the easy clean lever works great...

Overall I can't complain too much about the CB1200 but if it ever fails miserably I think I'll try the Englander next.

i would vote for the multi fuel unti mine is and I have ran 4 differnt kinds of pellets tho it and corn it burnt all of them great

A multi-fuel stove is no value to me, I live in a state with 17 million acres of trees. My Quad burns wood pellets period.

slls said:
A multi-fuel stove is no value to me, I live in a state with 17 million acres of trees. My Quad burns wood pellets period.

How do you tune it when wood pellets aren't burning that good? My old control box has only 3 settings (low/med/high)...........BUT inside the box are potentiometers for the auger, comb, conv fans that you can tune with a little screwdriver. They should have been put on the outside of the box, not the inside.

slls said:

When you(and I do mean "WHEN") hit a iffy batch of pellets and the Quad starts choking on them. Maybe you might see what the multifuel difference means.

I double dog dare you to go out and get 2 bags of ACP's and try them in your quad. :) %-P

My Quad is multi, it will do pellets and corn. Cherry pits also...

Hank Hill said:

Ah No, The only Quad multifuel is the Mt Vernon. You might be able to burn a percentage of corn/pits. But not 100%! Well the pits do burn pretty good, So maybe them. Straight corn probably would not light. Again, Try to find a few bags of ACP and toss them in. You'll see what I mean. Try running for a full ton of pellets without opening the door, Not possible with a Quad.

Sorry Eric cleaning the burnpot or even dumping it doesn't count. Your counting maybe growing but the battle was lost as soon as the door was opened. %-P

Hank Hill said:

What it will burn and what you should be burning in it are two different things.

Make certain your venting can stand the combustion byproducts or you may be in for an unwelcome surprise.

I'm pretty certain I could burn nut shells, pits, and other stuff in mine but I'm not going to experiment with them, for that I'd get a true multi fuel biomass unit. Air control possibilities on my current unit are somewhere been none and none. There is really no feed trim either.

The quadrafire manual states it will burn wood and corn only. It states it may not auto light corn. I see nothing about cherry pits being tested in this unit. The only adjustment is the hopper shuttle which isn't much.
By design, having a stirrer in the pot opens up all kinds of opportunities for burning. The multi-fuel has the fuel/air/on_temp trims. I like my quad, but after looking at the manual I think I would choose the multi-fuel unit if I was to get a new one. But first, I would go and look at them to see the actual quality of manufacturing.

The venting system is I have is for corn/pellets. you can burn straight corn in the sante fe, you just need alittle wood pellets at start up for lighting..

Status
Not open for further replies.