Quadra Fire Cumberland Gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vikestand

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2014
Missurah
Million dollar/asked question I am sure. Should I get a blower for this wood stove? It's located in the center of our 2000sqft house. I would have prolly went a little bigger on the fire box, but it does seem to do an adequate job. My question is, should I get a blower on this? Do that make THAT much of a difference? Or should I use regular oscillating fans to push air throughout....

I think you will get mixed opinions here.

From my perspective the advantages are:

1. You can lower the temp of the metal a lot faster if the stove gets away from you.

2. You will "feel" the heat from the stove a little farther but I've noticed after a short distance the heat drops out of the moving air and the air doesn't feel warm.

And the disadvantages are:

1. Forget to shut the fan off when you open the stove door and you will have a smoky house.

2. Depending on the blower and location you might have to turn your TV up alot to hear it over the blower.

3. And the $100 bill it cost you to buy the blower could be used for adult beverages or fishing tackle and you would probably get more enjoyment out of it!

My stove came with a blower. I use it rarely. Mainly when stove has to much radiant heat and I want to dissipate the heat. My stove is in a small living room and it gets too hot.

If you have the extra money it would be worth giving it a shot. Worse case you have a blower that doesn't get used because it doesn't add any advantage to your situation. Best case maybe it saves you a small amount of wood cutting each year.

Roger that. Think I'll just lean towards a few extra bottles of whiskey to keep me warm!

Reactions: Doc C