• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roger.H

Dec 11, 2023
New York
Hi,

I have a Quadra Fire Edge 60 pellet stove that was bought by former owner 12 years ago. Recently the stove takes really long time to ignite (probably 2-3 startup cycle to start fire). But then I noticed the flame is really low and weak which cannot reach the thermocouple. I tried open the glass door and found that the fire would burn better (much higher flame) which seems to be lack of oxygen when the glass door is closed. Then after 5-10 minutes, the fire will just die out as no pellet feed (probably due to low flame level resulting in low reading from thermocouple).

I did clean the fire pot, heat exchanger, vent pipe, combustion blower, convection blower. I used my infrared thermometer to check temperature of the ignitor, it was like 600F at peak. But then I detect temperature of the fire pot, it was like less than 100F only (which might be able to explain why it takes so long to light).

Just wondering what might be causing the issue? Any suggestions for part replacements? (e.g. new 380watt ignitor, combustion blower and gasket, thermocouple, etc.)

Thanks!
Roger

IMG_3561.png

Attachments

• IMG_3542.mov
    16.9 MB
I'm having similar problems with my XXV and a kind member just told me he had same problems with his XXV and it was a bad fines cover seal and he replaced that and fixed it. Different stove than yours but worth a look see, good luck!

I'm having similar problems with my XXV and a kind member just told me he had same problems with his XXV and it was a bad fines cover seal and he replaced that and fixed it. Different stove than yours but worth a look see, good luck!
Thanks for the tip! The issue turned out to be somewhat related to fines and dust clogging the auger! As long as I put enough pellets in the firepot, the fire would start in 30 seconds (that proved the igniter and inlet vent did not cause the issues!) After knowing the root cause, I vacuumed all the pellets in hopper and also the auger pipe (was supposed to be zero-clean auger!) and let the fireplace keep running to clear all the dust and fines. Now the fireplace has already worked as usual for a couple days! I also replaced igniter, thermocouple and vacuum switch, so I think it works even better than before. I’m so glad that I could have it fixed right before the snow!