Quadra Fire Grand Voyageur Self Installation - HELP please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmace

Jul 3, 2015
Pittsburgh PA
I'm brand new here and desperate, so please forgive me if this has been asked before and I'm missing it in my search...We are installing a Quadra-Fire Voyageur Grand wood burning insert ourselves. Yesterday we plugged it in and the fan fired right up. Today, right before we wanted to slide the unit into it's final spot we plugged it in and no fan at all. It has to be something stupid, right? Help, please!

Welcome.The blower has both an automatic and a manual setting. Automatic requires the stove to get up to temperature before the blower kicks in. Manual should turn it on right away. Try it in manual mode to see if it is working.
Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 10.26.14 AM.png

Please feel free to ask questions. Was the chimney completely cleaned before the liner was installed? Take some pictures of the flue collar liner attachment before putting on the surround if you need verification.

Does it have a manual and auto mode? It could be in auto, in which case the stove would have to heat up before the fan comes on.

Welcome.The blower has both an automatic and a manual setting. Automatic requires the stove to get up to temperature before the blower kicks in. Manual should turn it on right away. Try it in manual mode to see if it is working.
View attachment 159333

Yep, it's in manual. Like I said, when we started the work yesterday we plugged it straight into a wall outlet and it started right up. Did some other work yesterday, and today when we were ready to slide it into place and hook the chimney pipe up to it, we plugged it in again just to be sure and we have nothing. Like I said, there has to be something simple we are missing...

First thing, make sure the receptacle is live and power is going to the unit. If that is verified a wire may not be firmly plugged into the auto/manual switch. Pull the switch plate (with unit unplugged) and verify all connections are tight.

How about the rheostat? It's not by chance "off" is it?

Sounds like a loose connection. Take it apart and be sure all connections are firmly secured.

Success!!!!!! One of the wires on the back of the rheostat was loose. Hooked it back on and the fan runs like a champ now! Thanks again for all your ideas and help. NOW to start reading up on how to use this thing! I know everyone says there is a learning curve, so I want to get this thing all figured out before I need it!

Good to hear. One of the most important items after a safe installation will be having a fully seasoned wood supply. That is the number one issue every fall.

The second issue is often poor draft. Did the insert get connected to a full liner to the top of the chimney? Did the chimney get cleaned first?

Status
Not open for further replies.