Quadra-Fire + Isle Royale Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poult

Jan 12, 2008
Northern NYS
I've been reading on line about wood stoves for the last few weeks and finally this week will be able to get off the farm and into town to take a look at stoves in a store. Locally there are several brands. Lopi/Avalon at one place, Blaze King at another, and Quadra-Fire at a third. I've reluctantly decided against the Blaze King because of cost as well as the fact the guy who sells them is kind of a part time dealer who has a "friend" who does installations. He was an interesting guy to talk to on the phone, though. The Lopi/Avalon dealer heard I was interested in a wood stove and immediately started talking about how the price went up with the extras you wanted with the stove. It was a pretty big turn off talking to someone like that, about the equivalent of going new car shopping and the dealer saying "oh, you'll like this vehicle, it's red." Pretty much the last thing you want to know. Anyway, that brought me down to the Quadra-Fire dealer and they seemed decent on the phone.

I like the Isle Royale because it's a top loading unit and I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees and hands. Top loading sounds a lot easier on the joints. The stove is sized about right (maybe a little big, but not by a whole lot) for this house, so it's ok there. For no particular reason I'm not nuts about cast iron instead of the rolled steel stoves, but since that seems to be the way to get a top loading stove I'm not going to worry about that. (For what it's worth, the dealer was suggesting the 4300 step top when I talked to them on the phone. I hadn't been looking into actual models at the point I spoke with them, was more interested in the brand they carried.)

So those of you who are Isle Royale owners, what do you like or dislike about this stove? If you were doing it again would you buy it? I'd like to be able to ask the right questions when I go into the store, and if there's things you don't like I'd want to pay attention to those areas. I'm afraid I may be putting too much emphasis in the top loading idea and over looking something else.

Poult

Good choice. It's a strong heater. Top loading stoves are very nice. There are a few loyal Isle Royale owners here that have been very happy with them. Carpneil is in your neck of the woods. They should chime in shortly.

This is a big stove, how large is the house? How large is the area it would be going in to?

BeGreen said:
Good choice. It's a strong heater. Top loading stoves are very nice. There are a few loyal Isle Royale owners here that have been very happy with them. Carpneil is in your neck of the woods. They should chime in shortly.

This is a big stove, how large is the house? How large is the area it would be going in to?

The house is a 1964 ranch with an addition on the back, something under 2000 sq.' . With the price of oil this year I've decided I've got to go to something to keep the boiler off, and keeping the thermostat turned down is no fun (I've been running the house at 54ºF this winter). I know the Isle Royale is bigger than I need, but can't see too much heat as being a problem since the house is decently insulated but not outstandingly so. Also, I've got four large dogs and a dog door and even with an inner door and a second dog door, cold air comes in, kind of like a dog powered cold air pump that operates constantly. ;)

The stove will be in the dining room, which is the center of the house.

Poult

Hi Poult we have a 4300 steptop...it's a very good stove but we would have gotten the next size larger if I had to do it over again. If you have a ceiling fan the 4300 will move the heat to the outer rooms.

One thing I'll say is that it puts out a lot more heat than the old Shenandoah stove split for split...we just can't load it up as full with the size splits we have now.

savageactor7 said:
Hi Poult we have a 4300 steptop...it's a very good stove but we would have gotten the next size larger if I had to do it over again. If you have a ceiling fan the 4300 will move the heat to the outer rooms.

One thing I'll say is that it puts out a lot more heat than the old Shenandoah stove split for split...we just can't load it up as full with the size splits we have now.

Thanks for the input. If the Isle Royale doesn't look so good to me when I see it, the 4300 is probably going to be the one I go with.

Still looking for any problems with the Isle Royale. The only thing so far that I've been concerned about is the fact that some of the workings of the stove rotate when the top cover is raised, at least, that's according to the website. It's not really well explained, though. Does anyone think this will be a problem regarding wear on the stove?

Poult

I like the Isle Royale, no problem keeping it going (as with most stoves)

Top loading is nice, but I still tend to load from the front as I can put huge logs in there.

Nice big firebox and takes 22 Inch Logs and bigger if you put them in sideways - 3 foot firebox..

Can't go wrong. You will be happy. Puts off more heat than the Buck I had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.