Quadra Fire Isle Royale - Stove Bright Paint Color

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathandtaxes

Feb 10, 2014
New England
Would anyone know what Stove Bright Color would match my current matte Black Isle Royale?
My guesses are
6304 Flat Black
1990 Satin Black
6309 Metallic Black

My assumption is the closest match would be 6304 Flat black.

Thank you!

1990 Satin Black. You will probably have to paint the entire unit, as the color changes slightly as it heat cures.

Thank you! You can tell...I was trying to get away with a little less work....never a good plan. It's really just the top that could use it and was hoping with the top being a different plane, the difference might not be noticeable. But probably not a good plan.

Thank you again. Out of curiosity, how do you know the right paint? Is there a reference I missed in my search?

Good point. Yes, I should have said that I do not cook on it.
FYI, Jags, you are one of the reasons I purchased the stove years ago. Thank you for sharing all your good info!
Great stove.

Thank you! You can tell...I was trying to get away with a little less work....never a good plan. It's really just the top that could use it and was hoping with the top being a different plane, the difference might not be noticeable. But probably not a good plan.

Thank you again. Out of curiosity, how do you know the right paint? Is there a reference I missed in my search?

You can probably just paint the top, but the griddle should be oiled. In my experience in the hearth industry, most stoves that aren't enamel or Majolica are painted with Stove Bright paints.

You can probably just paint the top, but the griddle should be oiled. In my experience in the hearth industry, most stoves that aren't enamel or Majolica are painted with Stove Bright paints.

well, I know the "right" way to prep and paint, but I am not sure of the process or oil to use for the griddle.
I would imagine I clean it to get any rust off the same as I would prep for paint, cleaning with acetone, then....?

well, I know the "right" way to prep and paint, but I am not sure of the process or oil to use for the griddle.
I would imagine I clean it to get any rust off the same as I would prep for paint, cleaning with acetone, then....?
I have good results cleaning up griddles with WD-40 and steel wool.

I thought the isle royale was metallic black. Pretty sure the last one I worked on was anyway. And like daksy said, just about everyone but Blaze King uses Stove Bright.

Maybe they used to be Metallic? Or maybe the installer repainted it? Either way It's got a fresh coat of Metallic now!

Years back (way back), Quads and Lopi too were painted metallic black from the factory. Today they are standard painted flat black. I still think the metallic black looks better though. Cost cost cost, always cost per unit... Good choice of stove too, one of my favorite large cast stoves.

Years back (way back), Quads and Lopi too were painted metallic black from the factory. Today they are standard painted flat black. I still think the metallic black looks better though. Cost cost cost, always cost per unit... Good choice of stove too, one of my favorite large cast stoves.
Lopi is still painted with Metallic Stove Bright.

I also don't think cost would be the reason for the change, Blaze King recently changed to Metallic. I think it's because its a more appealing color to most. Anytime I refurbish an old stove I use metallic, it just looks so much nicer!

Reactions: stovelark
Thanks webby for the clarification. I too like the metallic better. Quad now ships with their new stoves a plain wrapper small can of touch up flat black....

So Thanks to everyone. I did repaint the entire thing, not just the top. I used the 1990 Satin Black Stove Bright.
I didn't paint the doors at first, just to see if I could get away with it. They were slightly lighter black. It was barely noticeable, but since I was doing it, I wanted it right, so I painted the doors. I will say that after I did the burn in, the stove lightened up a tad and may have match the doors, but I am glad I did it all (didn't do the ash pan underneath the stove as that all still looks great). I did decide to paint the griddle as I never have, or will, use it.

So scotch brite pad (maroon) to sand everything down really well
Acetone wipe down (3 times over) with clean/new white rags
This took the paint down and also removed the rust on the griddle (little more elbow grease on the griddle)
And 2 cans of 1990 Stove Bright paint (3 light coats).
And a good respirator mask during the entire process.

Very happy with the results.

Thanks again. Wish I had taken some before pictures.

IMG_20140621_172337.jpg IMG_20140621_172316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be a little biased, but that right there is a sexy stove.

Did you remove the glass when you painted the doors, or simply do a good job of taping it off?

Very nice.

Lookin good! Smart move on the respirator. That SB paint will scramble your brain.
Pretty sure that's what happened to mine (along with living in the 60s)...

I might be a little biased, but that right there is a sexy stove.

Did you remove the glass when you painted the doors, or simply do a good job of taping it off?

I did remove the glass. Gaskets were/are all still in great shape so just a few screws and easy painting. Taping that would have been a ....

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.