Quadra Fire Mt. Vernon Insert - Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CFFuts23

Feb 1, 2009
Southern, NH
I'm new to the forum and to wood stoves. This fall we installed a Quadra Fire Mt. Vernon insert and I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get help on.

First, the thermostat. I've read and re-read the manual a number of times, but I can't get the clock and date settings to work. I change the settings - going all the way through the sequence and it doesn't initiate. We called our dealer and were told we have to go through the full cycle.....I tried for the 8th time and it still won't work. Am I missing anything?

Next, we had an issue with the unit making weird noises. The dealer came out and replaced the auger, which had a 'gear tooth' missing - apparently a factory defect. Since we have had the new auger, the stove is running much quieter. However, since the auger replacement, the stove seems to run for a shorter amount of time between it's autoclean cycle. Prior to the replacement, the stove would run for six - eight hours before it would clean itself. Now we are closer to 2 hours. Also, the stove ash has a different consistentcy. It used to be much thicker - chucks of pellets - where as now it is a really fine powder. I would assume this is a good thing - it's burning better, but it is building up three times as fast. Not a problem, but I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign.

Any thoughts? Is our thermostat ok or should I get it replaced? Does the time between cleanings sound appropriate?

Many thanks in advance.

I don't have a Mt. Vernon, I have a Quadra Fire Castille. But I have read in the Pellet and Corn Crib forum that there is a setting on your thermostat that allows you to make an adjustment for the grade of pellets in use.This is supposed to make a difference in the auto clean cycle time. Try reposting on the forum I just mentioned and you might get a an answer that will suit your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.