Quadra-Fire Pellet Stove overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimnar

Jan 25, 2007
Hi all. I'm new here.

I have an older Quadra-Fire Pellet Stove. It may be model 1000 but I am not sure. It's maybe 12 years old.

A couple days ago I noticed that the top was much warmer than normal. Normally it's just warm to the touch but this time it was actually hot. A quick check revealed most of the outside surfaces were too hot, especially down around the bottom (which makes sense as it's by the fire pot).

I checked and all the blowers were running (not sure if at the right RPM's though). It's kicking out warm air just like it always has: a nice strong air flow.

Clearly something is wrong though.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

What does the flame look like Grimner? Slow and lazy? Short and active? Light orange to white? Darker orange with brown tips? How tall out of the firepot is the flame?

The flame is great. Just as it always is.

I ended up pulling off the lower right side panel. I notice the paint on the exhaust blower cover was cracked and some had fallen off. A sure sign of thermal stress. I ran the stove again and sure enough it was way too hot. I suspect that although the blower motor was running, it was not turning at the 3000 RPM’s that it should be.

Here is a pic of the assembly after I pulled it. And what a pain in the butt that was!

I’ll replace the motor and see if that solves the issue.

Just thinking the same MSG. Did you change fuel types at all? I know the pellets I have now get the stove much hotter than my previous brand. When the stove has been cranking for a while, I can't touch the top or sides for more than a second or two. I'm guessing they run in the 160-180 degree area. I'm still with MSG tho, if it is truly overheating, why no shut down as it should?

ok, here is the latest.

Master of Fire, the fan does spin freely. A friend of mine hooked up the motor and it's seems to be running fine. It was really moving some air.

Mountain Stove Guy, I don't know what a snap disk is. :-( But yeah, the stove is getting way to warm. Normally the top surface is just slightly warm. The cat likes to sleep there. But now it gets too hot to touch.

I did check the blower that feeds air into the chamber under the burn chamber (I am speaking about where the fire pot sits down into and where the ignitor is) and that is working. I can feel air flowing into there. But that area is getting way too warm as well.

So, given that the exhaust motor/blower seems to be running fine (except that the fan housing is getting crazy hot), I am thinking maybe there is an airflow blockage somewhere. Does that sound reasonable?

Now, I can't see up in there, but I can feel a grate of some sorts in there. I took this picture with my camera. I can't tell if it's blocked off but it doesn't look good to me.

Any thoughts?

Also, I am new to this so feel free to point out if I am using the wrong terminology or such.

Thanks!

Grimnar

If the stove overheats beyond the temp ranges the manufacture specs, the snap disks shuts it down.
A snap disk is a simple electrical device that closes or opens a circut depending on heat. In the number 3 snap case, as long as the unit is under normal temps the circut is closed, if it gets to hot the bi metal strip curles up and breaks the circuit shutting the unit down, and has a manual reset button on the disk that has to be pushed to turn it back on.

no thats a vacume switch a snap disk looks like this:

Attachments

• part39.jpg
    part39.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 457
It would really help to get the actual model of the stove or at least post a picture. I'm not sure if there is a manual still available for the stove, but without any idea of the model it's just guessing as to the control circuits and the location of the switches. Though MSG has a good handle on the safety switch side of the issue, the snap switch should have triggered, the cause of the overheat is still unknown. When was the last time the stove had a thorough, top-of-the-flue to the end of the stove cleaning?

MountainStoveGuy said:
no thats a vacume switch a snap disk looks like this:

I gave it a good triple check. I see nothing like that on my unit.

The picture I showed shows everything that is electronic. Not counting blower motors.

You should have 3 of those snap disks! one to run the auger, one to run the convection blower and one to shut it down if it overheats.

post a photo of the stove like bg suggests please.

BeGreen said:
It would really help to get the actual model of the stove or at least post a picture. I'm not sure if there is a manual still available for the stove, but without any idea of the model it's just guessing as to the control circuits and the location of the switches. Though MSG has a good handle on the safety switch side of the issue, the snap switch should have triggered, the cause of the overheat is still unknown. When was the last time the stove had a thorough, top-of-the-flue to the end of the stove cleaning?
I'll post a pic of it.

As far as a the cleaning, probably never. I've had it serviced once and things seemed okay. I do what I can but I guess I don't do enough.

MountainStoveGuy said:
look on page 10
you have the snap disks
here is the manual
on the 1000, number 2 is the one that shuts it down if it overfires.
http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/man_1000.pdf

ok. You are spot on.

I'm a dork.

Here is a pic.

Not exactly on the "upper right hand" but whatever.

I am still concerned. My unit is getting way to hot on the top.

It's almost 2am here. I am going to pick this up in the morning. Thanks for sticking with me MSG. It's appreciated.

NP, goodnight, it time for me to get to bed too.
replace that snapdisk if you think its broken, any quad dealer should have it in stock, if not, i should. there cheap. If that thing is working, i wouldnt worry to much, get a stove top thermometer and let us know how hot its getting. But, i wil say again, that snap disk will shut it down in a heartbeat if it even thinks about getting hot.

Grimnar, that's the auger protector snap disk. You want to replace snap disk number 2. Read page 13 of the manual for it's location on the right side. Look for the yellow wires.

But you are correct, that is a protection device that will stop the symptom. However, it is not going to fix the cause of the overheat. Normally this snap switch should never have to kick in. The root cause is 12 years of lack of annual maintenance. My guess is that its heat exchanger is plugged up and the stove shouldn't be run until it has a real thorough cleaning. RTM

Snap disk #1 turns the convection blower on/off. Snap disk #2 turns the stove off if snap disk #1 isn't working and the stove gets too hot. Take the wires off snap disk #1 and jump them together with something like a paperclip to make your convection blower come on. I think the wires are black. Snap disk #2 wires should be yellow. The stove doesn't have to be running for this test to work. I agree with BeGreen. Perhaps the stove needs a good cleaning, including the fins of the convection blower (facing the stove, on the left side behind the bottom left panel).

Status
Not open for further replies.