Quadra Fire Santa Fe - How to access Combustion Blower for cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
The only cleaning I've done has been using the leaf blower trick.
This unit is in a basement, pipe comes out of unit to a T and then up like 5 feet and then 90 degrees to the outside.

Corner install, tight space in the back.

Checking manual but doesn't have much...how do you access that combustion blower to clean it????

Called the dealer where i got the stove from a few years ago and the guy said no need to remove anything, it is easy as mentioned in the instructions of the manual on page 32:

Cleaning the Exhaust Path
• Frequency: Every 25 bags or monthly or more frequently depending on ash build-up.
• By: Homeowner
a. Appliance must be completely cool.
b. Open cast hinge face. Remove baffle and right brick and thoroughly vacuum the area and continue throughout the rest of the firebox.
c. Replace right brick and baffle and close cast hinge

if you want to take the blower out take off the back of the stove and i remember correctly there should be 6-8 screws holding the blower in place remove the screws and the blower comes right out. buy a gasket you will need to replace it after your done.

Called the dealer where i got the stove from a few years ago and the guy said no need to remove anything, it is easy as mentioned in the instructions of the manual on page 32:

Cleaning the Exhaust Path
• Frequency: Every 25 bags or monthly or more frequently depending on ash build-up.
• By: Homeowner
a. Appliance must be completely cool.
b. Open cast hinge face. Remove baffle and right brick and thoroughly vacuum the area and continue throughout the rest of the firebox.
c. Replace right brick and baffle and close cast hinge
What?? He said you never need to remove the blower to clean it?? Obviously not after 25 bags, but for sure, it needs to be removed after about 1 1/2 - 2 tons, and at the end of the burning season.

Well, the thing is that when you open that port through the firebox you can actually feel the blades of the blower through there, so you can blow compressed air and blow the heck out of it.

Just changed the combustion blower for first time on a Quad that went into service in Dec 2005. Yes, I would go into the front remove the baffle and suck the hell out of the
chamber where the fins lay. When we got the blower out, there was much ash that could not be reached this way. That fan had been squealing, intermittently and know I know why. I plan to get a gasket and take it off each year at end of season. BTW, after cleaning the old one, will hold on to it for a back up if needed to go back into service.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
The problem I have is that when I installed this Santa Fe (myself) I had trouble getting a good seal back there (smoke leaks all the times) so I put a heck of silicone to get it sealed, a LOT.....plus the T in the back.
I wouldn't even know how to put the pipes apart from there.....silicone everywhere.

How can silicone be removed??????

Does a how-to video exist for this process? I searched and couldn't come up with anything. It seems pretty straight forward but as with anything, seeing someone with experience do it first helps!!

Back when the Sante Fe was the Contour, it was possible to access the exhaust fan fins from firebox by taking off right brick. When they changed it to the Sante Fe, you have to take the exhaust fan off to clean. If there is enough room between stove and exhaust going up(there is on mine) you can take the back loose and just slide it to the vertical exhaust pipe, out of the way. Lower part of back can just be laid on floor. No need to tear pipe apart. Six screws and fan pops off. As mentioned, you will need a new gasket. And Quad recommends cleaning exhaust fan every year at end of season. kap

Pull off as much as you can, by hand. I then take a round paint stripper mounted on a cordless drill (looks like a round scrubbing pad) and try to remove remainder down to metal. Finally, take mineral spirits on a soft abrasive pad and clean area thoroughly to remove reisdue, followed by a thorough wipe down with a dry cloth. Note that mineral spirits are highly flammable, so proceed accordingly, on cold stoves only (and remove all residue, etc).

The problem I have is that when I installed this Santa Fe (myself) I had trouble getting a good seal back there (smoke leaks all the times) so I put a heck of silicone to get it sealed, a LOT.....plus the T in the back.
I wouldn't even know how to put the pipes apart from there.....silicone everywhere.

What I do is take a sharp X-Acto knife and slice all the way around the pipe seam, a little rocking back and forth and it usually breaks free. Next time try not to glob it on, put some on the seam and run your finger all the way around so you have a nice smooth and thin seal.

What I do is take a sharp X-Acto knife and slice all the way around the pipe seam, a little rocking back and forth and it usually breaks free. Next time try not to glob it on, put some on the seam and run your finger all the way around so you have a nice smooth and thin seal.

I haven't removed that T at all...:p
I've been using the vacuum from outside and cleaning pipes that way, plus cleaning inside as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.