Quadra Fire Santa Fe Thermostat Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stengel4

Feb 17, 2009
Eastern Panhandle, WV
I installed a QF Sante Fe about 3 months ago. It has been running fine, but I wanted a programmable T-stat instead of the one supplied. I was going to get the one from my local dealer, but it was over $100 dollars. I found the same model (LUX PSP511LA) for a lot cheaper online so I went with it. It works great, but I have recently started having a problem and I am not sure if it is the T-stat or the stove.
Problem: I turn the T-stat to off to clean the stove (at least once a week). Once I finish cleaning, I turn it on and wait for the stove to light. (I'll increase the heat settings to make sure it kicks on) It doesn't light, and from what I can tell it isn't getting any input from the T-stat to turn on. (the red light inside the stove doesn't light up) The only way I can get it to come on is to unplug the stove from the wall, then plug it back in. Once I do that all is back to normal. Again this only happens when I turn the T-stat to off, as the stove runs with out issue following the program it turns itself off and on as heat is needed.

I know the T-stat I have is a 24volt while the Sante Fe is 12 volt, but from everything I read on this site that shouldn't matter. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

Have you tried to just turn the temp down on the tstat instead of off? i just manually hit the down arrow on my tstat, clean, then bump it back up to the correct temp. I have not had any issues to date.

I have turned the temp down, and cleaned it like that with the original T-stat in place. Never thought of doing that with the new one since it has an off button. I'm sure it will work fine, I'll try it this week.
I would still like to know why I have to unplug the stove from the wall to get it to kick in, when I do switch it to off though. I mean even hitting the reset button on the stove doesn't do anything, only unplugging it from the wall works.

The way the stove turns on and off is pretty simple. The wires coming off the unit have a small voltage (12V I think). When it comes back to the stove the red "call for heat" light comes on and the stove runs. If the call for heat light is not coming on that voltage is not getting back to the stove. I would disconnect the stat and try just touching the wires together on and off a few times. Have someone watch the red light and see if it comes on each time. This would simulate turning the stat on and off. If this seems to work fine then its definitely the stat. Let me know what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.