Quadra Fire Santa Fe vs. Avalon Newport ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
My friend wanted me to ask this question. He wants a small pellet stove and went to a couple local dealers for prices.
This dealer offered him the Santa Fe Quadra Fire saying the company is having a promotion on the stove and the price is $1,734 plus tax and installation.

The other dealer has the Avalon Newport, asking $2,199 plus tax and installation. This one has a removable ash pan on the bottom.

My friend asked me to go with him to see the stoves. I really liked the Santa Fe, burn pot area is cast iron and the stove has good looking (compared the Englander......well, you know....).

He's in a similar situation I am, and looking to heat a basement space (less than 1,000 sq. ft.), so he's looking into small pellet stoves.

The first dealer said the Santa Fe runs for around $2,400 regular price but with the promotion is $1734 and it has 2 years warranty on electrical parts and 3 years on the burn pot.

The Avalon Newport has a 2 year warranty on electrical parts and up to 7 years on other components.

Opinions?

Does the Santa Fe sound like a good deal? Not sure on reliability of the stove and how quiet it is and easy to clean, looking for feedback....

Well, I deal Quads but will not say the Santa Fe is a better stove than the Avalon. I sell the Santa fe for MSRP which is $1999.00, but each dealer sets their own price as they see fit. With Quad's deal the cold cash promotion offers $400 off the Santa Fe. Keep in mind if the IRS ever gets there act together you may get the 30% rebate. The Santa Fe also has a removable ashpan. Ask both dealers to walk you through the maintainence of the stove. The Newport does have an independent fan speed which is nice if you care about that. Warranty's look like they are very similar. Overall I would say it's a matter of what you like as far as looks.

thanks, there's another dealer that gave him the price you mention on the Santa Fe, $1999 minus the $400 promotion, so $1.600 for the stove doesn't sound bad.

How's the maintenance and the fan noise on the Santa Fe? I have an Englander and clean the burn pot and the glass daily, the Englander is a bit noisy.

BTW - when is that $400 promotion ending?

IMO the noise is not bad at all. On low you can barely tell the blowers are on. Med & high aren't that bad either but then again I burn a Classic Bay which is a bigger unit and the blowers move more air so you have a little more noise. Maintainence varies by how much your burning. I know I can go 5-6 days with good pellets before I need to tend my firepot, and I run mine hard. If I'm running corn, 1-2 days. I have also burned wheat, barley and sunflower seeds (just to try it, can't afford to burn sunflower). That promo is going til the end of April. Keep in mind to the service after the sale is also important, so even if one dealer is a little more $, it may be worth it down the road.

Thanks again. My friend picked me and went to the place to see the Santa Fe. The dealer also has Harman and said they also have the promo, Harman P38 is around $1567 after promo, so my friend is also thinking about that one.
To me, the Santa Fe looks a bit better than the P38, even though the P38 seems to be made of a stronger steel but it looks like a toilet...!! It doesn't have auto-igniter.
On the other hand I told him that I like the burn pot on the Santa Fe, drop feeding and it's round and nice. The burn pot on the Harman is sort of strange to me, looks like the ash would be backing up into the auger.

Any comments on the P38 compared to the Santa Fe?

Status
Not open for further replies.