quadra fire wont start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pat21050

Oct 17, 2009
maryland
i have a quadra fire pellet stove that i bought as a floor model, it was used about 6 months and i had it delivered to my house and never got around to installing it, its been about two years now and i'm ready to hook it up and it wont start. i plug it in and hit the reset switch and nothing. i was told i could bypass the thermostat to get it to start by using a wire to complete the circuit where the screws are just above the plug but nothing i used a meter to check to see if its getting power and it is....any ideas? am imissing something here? i dont' have the manual for this its the largest freestanding quadra fire makes right now. thank you

Welcome pat21050,

It would be helpful if you could find us the model number. I will post the link for the manual. Check pellet stoves and find your model number.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Customer_Care/Installation_Manuals.asp

Also are you saying it is not doing anything. No fans are coming on?

Sounds like you don't have the jumper right or something may have been jarred loose when it was moved. Unplug it and start checking the connections on the stove.

jay

no action by the auger at all or do the pellets feed but never light?

Check the fuse on the back of the stove. Filament could of broken during the move.

Bkins

the stove is a quadrafire mt. vernon not the a/e model....i looked at the fuse its not broken, the manual i printed talked about snap discs? and an inside reset button on the snap disc?

On the back right hand side of the stove you will see a light as in bulb. It is red in color and located just below the reset button but on the back of the stove. This should be red when the stove is calling for heat. Is this light on? The snap disks are under the right hand cover facing the stove. When you take the cover off you will see the disks on the upper left of the hopper bin and also one on the augar tube about central in the stove. The augar one is hard to reach. Unplug the stove b4 you do any work on it. If you look at the snap disk closely you will see a post that is in the center. If the disk is tripped you will need to push this post. You may need to take the wires off to clearly see the post. Again make sure the stove is unplugged b4 you do any work on it. The control box is like $400 if it gets shorted out. Was this stove handled roughly when it was moved? You might call the stove shop where you bought it and tell them you are just getting around to hooking it up and you can't get it to run. See what they say.

Bkins

no its not on....i tried hooking a wire to the two middle screws i was told this would bypass the thermostat. I moved the unit to the garage so i know its plenty cold for needing heat....if it was the fuse would the fuse be broken because it is not....i checked all the wire connections and the control box is securely in the slot....

http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/installManuals/man_mtVernon.pdf

This is the manual for the stove. It says the #3 snap disk may be defective judgeing from what you are saying. I would question how the stove was run while at the stove shop and if they, for some reason, made changes to the thermostat wires in any way. You can take the 2 wires off the #3 snap disk and put a jumper between them to bypass the #2 disk. If that gets you no where I really would be looking at the wiring for the thermostat hookup.

Bkins

Your themostat block on the back of the stove has 4 screws. The jumper goes between the center 2 screws. Just covering bases.

Bkins

when you plug the stove in the combustion blower should come on for 15 min or so the shut off does it????

Status
Not open for further replies.