Quadra Fire - Yosemite wood stove leaking brown gooey substance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dusty_

Jan 10, 2010
Ontario
I’m wondering if anyone has had a problem like this - I’m at my wits end! I bought a new Yosemite cast iron woodstove (mahogany finish) in April and had alot of problems with the installation, including water leak at ceiling where chimney went out to roof. I ended up getting a roofer in to fix the leak (there were 2 layers of shingles on the roof - not sure if this could have been a problem with the initial installation if they didn't realize that?). Anyway, one problem that I’m still having is there is a brown, sticky substance showing up on the floor under two of the legs every time I have a good fire going. It also seems to be coming from the side door and drips onto the ledge under it causing a stain. When it first happened the installers said they had no idea what it could be and told me to just wipe it up with a cleaner. It was originally very sticky and hard to remove but the last time it wiped up easily with water. Has anyone ever had this problem or would you have any idea what it could be?

Its liquid creosote. Your wood has too much moisture in it. I have seen it drip out that side door before, it does not get as hot like the front glass so the stuff condensates over there better and then drips out. As you already found out, it stains the porcelain finish.

Get better wood, burn hotter fires, problems solved.

BTW this post belongs in the hearth room, any mods care to move it over?

Thanks so much for the info. Sorry I entered my question in the wrong spot - I've never visited a forum site before and found it a bit confusing. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.