Quadra-Fire??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Ray

Nov 20, 2005
TX
Anyone on the forum using a Quadra -Fire Isle Royale wood stove????? They look like a good stove but I was wondering about the porcelain finish, any troubles??? I could care less, but the wife likes the porcelain finish!!! Thanks Greg

Hi Greg,

I just looked at one yesterday in the local hearth shop. Great looking stove, love the cast iron, like the top loading feature even more (have you seen the way the secondary tubes fold up when you want to reload?). And the clearances are awesome (6" with double wall pipe).

I wish it was just a little bit smaller (size of the cumberland gap). The Isle royale is too overpowering of a structure for my small room.

Carpniels

PS. as with all enamel, hit it with something hard and it will chip. Even wood can chip it. My Hearthstone II is brown enamel and it is chipped in several spots. The problem is that the enamel is so thick, that once it is chipped the touch up paint will never make it flush with the original enamel (you would need 50 layers of paint for that).

Our last 2 stoves have had an enamel finish. I was skeptical before, but now love it. It isn't hard to keep it in good shape and really keeps the stove looking new. With our old VC, ash, dust, rust, made it looks dingy after a few years. The only solution was a fresh coat of stove paint. Then we had a red 602 that still looked great after 15 years. Real easy to clean up and looks good all year round. I didn't need convincing when we bought the 3CB. It will stay looking good and the enamel finish helps it's resale value.

Thanks for all the replies,,,, I guess I'll go with the porcelain finished stove. My concern was that Hearth &Home Technologies or Aladdin Steel Products will only give a 1 year warranty on the porcelain finish.. Also they have all the parts in stock for the stoves and made in the U.S. Anyone have any dealings with this company?? At least the dealer has been in business for 20 years selling the same stoves!!!!! Seems to have a good warranty on the major parts of the stove and good dealer support! Thanks Greg

Yes, I've had contact with local dealers and with the factory. Most local dealers are pretty good. Factory tech support was slow by email, but ok by phone.

We've been using an Isle Royale for 4 years.

Problems- porcelin chipping, porcelin cracking.

1. Put a damper on the flue pipe- you'll want it. I'm using a SS 6" corrugated pipe and when the draft gets heavy the thing burns too hot- way too hot.

2. The glass is easy to clean.

3. The refractory on the inside damper/2ndary burn tubes needs replacing after 4 years.

It's a pretty good stove (I've had a lot of woodstoves too- Jotuls, Vermont) and this ones a good burner and fun to watch too!

I have many years on my Isle Royal. Mine is not the enamel version though, so I cannot speak about that. As far as the stove goes, I have had no problems and it is a very capable heater. Would recommend it to anyone needing a stove in the 3 cu ft range. After 5 years of 20/7 use, my baffle and re-burn tubes are still in fine shape. I have one cracked firebrick, but I know who to blame for that.

The porcelain is pretty durable. The best thing about it is you just wipe it off with a damp cloth and it looks like new again. If you do have cracking or major peeling that's not caused from an obvious over-fire Quad WILL replace the unit within the 1 year warranty period. I have experienced this myself once out of all the stoves we sell. I sent in pictures because the customer was wondering the best way to touch it up ad Quad came back and said he gets a new stove!

Great stove, no problems but only burning this year as I just bought it.

More heat output than my Buck 81 and easier to load.

Get the stove, I think you will be happy. The only thing I don't care for is the twin glass doors, I wish it was just one, but that would make one big door.

Good stove. We like it a lot after heating only 6 weeks with it. The top loading feature is something I didn't think I would like but I've grown to love it. That 3 cubic foot fire box handles a lot of wood. It makes you feel very comfortable when you go to bed at night knowing it's full of hardwood.

My wife can leave the house at 0800 and return 12 hours later to enough coals to start it again without too much trouble.

We have the brown enamel finish and it's chipped in one spot. I'm not sure how it happened but we don't notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.