Quadra new castille under performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itarian

Mar 1, 2017
Didsbury, ab
I just purchased and installed a brand new castille pellet stove. I've tried a few bags of pellets, different brands, and think it's under performing. I've loosened the set screw, have the pellet adjustment wide open, and yet on low, flames can die out. On high, only rarely do flames reach 4 inches. I believe that the castle from the factory is set very conservatively, and the auger is simply going to slow for longer pellets. Anyone else have this issue with a brand new appliance?

Long pellets are not a good thing for any stove. First thing you need to do is unplug stove, and check what number your control box is set on. There is a hole with a gray dial in it. And always unplug stove if you are removing or installing a control board, or you run the risk of toasting it. It should be 4. If it is on 4, you can change it to 5, for 10% more fuel, to try and make up for the long pellets. Also use a small mirror and a flashlight, and look up drop chute to see if there is any blockage at top of drop chute.Also in hopper at bottom, where auger end is, push down in there in case there is some bridging going on down there. And if all else fails, call the dealer as it is new and under warranty. There is no setting from factory, as the feed rate adjusting rod is the only setting for stove, besides the dial on control box. kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
Long pellets are not a good thing for any stove. First thing you need to do is unplug stove, and check what number your control box is set on. There is a hole with a gray dial in it. And always unplug stove if you are removing or installing a control board, or you run the risk of toasting it. It should be 4. If it is on 4, you can change it to 5, for 10% more fuel, to try and make up for the long pellets. Also use a small mirror and a flashlight, and look up drop chute to see if there is any blockage at top of drop chute.Also in hopper at bottom, where auger end is, push down in there in case there is some bridging going on down there. And if all else fails, call the dealer as it is new and under warranty. There is no setting from factory, as the feed rate adjusting rod is the only setting for stove, besides the dial on control box. kap

Thanks for the reply! Exactly what I needed to know. I've attached a pic of the control box, but there are no numbers. I guess clockwise raises it.... And a quarter turn? I'll try that.

Attachments

• IMG_20170301_075351.jpg
    IMG_20170301_075351.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 65
Should be a little V in the gray skirt, with the number in it

Had one brand of pellets (trebio) that would consistently bridge in my hopper. Had a piece of dowelling by the stove so I could give them a stir to fill the void that would be created by the auger. Trebios did not have too many long pellets but were never purchased again due to the bridging problem. Not fun coming home to a cold house, a full hopper and no stove burning. I'm sticking with the softwoods...

Reactions: kappel15
Indeed, there was a little V. Stove was at 6, moved it to the highest, 7 and it's running better! Thanks.
That is + 10% for a Santa Fe. Yours is #5 like I said above, but run it on what you want.kap