Quadra Santa Fe Baffle falling down, falling down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mearow

Dec 30, 2014
WA
This has me baffled. I take out the baffle and the bricks to clean, then put everything back exactly, or so I think. But every time we use the stove, the baffle will start scooting down. Sometimes it falls all the way down, so that it blocks the access to the fire pot and the fire goes out. So I keep a good watch on it, about twice a day (when in use) I have to open the door and push the baffle back in place. (I keep a kitchen hot pad nearby for the job).

One right side has a tab, the left side a hook and I always get those lined up where they need to be. I've inspected the bricks and they seem to be in the right place, not blocked by ash or the rope insulation.

This started happening after I changed out the exhaust fan last January. I did use a after-market exhaust fan so I wonder if that is causing a vibration that is causing the baffle to scoot down every day.

Any ideas, hints, tips, tricks or suggestions?

Did you follow the procedure in your manual EXACTLY?
Pages 22 & 23 describe the baffle/brick removal/replacement - with pix.

Attachments

• Quad Santa Fe.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 586
Yep, I've been checking and double-checking every time I clean behind the bricks. And every time the baffle falls down, I make sure I have a good connection, the tab in the hole and the hook secured on the other side. I try it and it seems stable until the stove has been running a couple hours.

Actually, I do think the exhaust fan does have a lot to do with it. I didn't have this problem at all until I replaced the fan.

Is the fan/motor vibrating? That might shake the baffle loose.

What I've found is if it's not exactly put together with tabs resting on bricks it'll become dislodged. Besides that sometimes the firebrick warps with heat may move things around. If it persists contacts your dealer for sure.

This is happening to me as well. I carefully put the baffle in place and check the tabs but in a few hours, it will fall again. I'm thinking about welding larger tabs on the baffle. Did you find a solution?

I did find a solution. I tucked a metal wood screw in the gap just under the tab on the right side. The screw lifts the baffle just enough so it stays in place. The threads of the screw provide enough friction for the screw to stay there, even tho there is no "hole" it's screwed in, it's just tucked in there in the gap.

Since this fix, the baffle hasn't fallen down once. It was doing like yours, sliding down several times a day, even as early as 10 minutes after starting up.

I thought I was going to have to get new bricks and a new baffle, no matter how careful I was, it just didn't want to stay up. Now it's been more than 3 months and not a problem, even tho I've removed everything to clean several times. Just have to "screw" that spacer-screw back.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.