Quadrafire 1000 early shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
We have had two quads here at the ranch for years and have had little issue.

Recently my cousin who had been renting the appt in the basement moved out, so we have been cleaning and preparing things for a new renter.

OK

Sooooooooo, we cleaned the old Quad and kicked it on.
The fire started as usual but within 10 minutes was out with the call light on ??????????

S0 with a clean stove, it was not the usual suspects.
I checked the thermocouple, and it had a cracked solder joint at the tip.

Replaced the thermo couple, still no joy.

Next I swapped the control box from the other Quad that runs fine, no joy there either.

Called Quadrafire yesterday and spoke to the tech dudes.

We discussed the " millivolt readings on the thermocouple" when measured at the junction block.

The green LED comes on but not the red one.

The reading should be 2-4 mv for the green light and 12-14 for the red one ( on the control box)

The best I could get with a fire going was 14 mv and still no joy

Checked the other stove and the red LED turns on at 18 mv

Scratching my head.

Finally, laying in bed last night, JOY AT LAST, or at least what I think is the answer.

The steel firepot has a large crack and split near the top thats letting air from the primary plenum blow into the pot, keeping the fire away from the Thermocouple.

So this morning I am going to swap the pot and see what shakes.

Keep ya posted

Snowy

JOY TO THE WORLD

OK got some helping hands and we swapped out the pot.

YEAH BUDDY
The flame starts as it should and within a couple minutes the millivolt readings at the TC BLOCK are at 4 and climbing fast,
within 3-5 minutes the readings are at 18-20 and the red LED is on and it's off to the RODEO.

t was right, the large crack in the top lip of the pot was swirling the flame away from the TC enough that the temp would not reach spec.
The millivolt reading was at 21 after a short time.

I spoke with the cousin yesterday, and he tried telling me that there was nothing wrong with the unit.
HAAAAAAAAAA, nothing that 18 years didn't cause.

We put the old girl back together for now, but she still needs a new room air fan, as it is noisy and is getting hotter than I really like.

This little debacle was a "twister" for sure.

Snowy

Me too.
Yesssss, these stoves are tanks, and they will heat a huge area.

The little appt is only 1000 ft and the Quad only needs to run for 10 minutes to run ya out

Snowy

Wow, I had to go get a magnifying glass for that post!!! :) That must be one heck of a crack! Glad you got it fixed and hope you're feeling better. Rest up!

Glad ya got it goin Snowy.

Quads are Super Simple to work on...

Man.....we have a quad 1100i that we just replaced (new one is being installed tomorrow). We had it completely serviced last year and it just doesn't seem to burn for us....we have to fight to get it started and it will only stay on for a couple hours at a time. My husband was so frustrated he wanted to replace it with a wood insert. From what you all are saying it seems like maybe it just needs a bit of work (we thought it was a goner)....plan is to put it up on CL this week.

Our Quads have been trouble free since 1993, with the exception of the burn pots and the early ignitors.
These issues were fixed under warranty right away, and the stoves have run flawless since.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.