Quadrafire 1100 I, Igniter on all the time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spd691

Nov 12, 2009
southern NH
I thought I was a jack of all trades... I was wrong. I puchased a non working 1100I. Cleaned it out. Replace burn't fuse holder. Painted it up and installed it. Best $150.00 ive spent thus far, it works great. But. I noticed after coming home from work and having the thermosat set low that it was a bit warm. I investigated and found the ignitor element is on all the time. I don't believe it should be. I have down loaded the manual from the net and reveiwed the trouble shooting section. No help. Anyone run into this before? This thing really puts out some heat, but I imagine its sucking down some juice. :question:

dum e said:
..... I puchased a non working 1100I......Replace burn't fuse holder...... found the ignitor element is on all the time......

The fact that you had to replace a burnt fuse holder (was the fuse blown, by the way?), and the ignitor is on all the time (not supposed to be that way on ANY stove), leads me to think there may be a problem with the control board.

What did the original owner say was wrong, or why did he sell it so cheap?

He was loosing his house and liquidating. It hadn't worked for some time. I helped him remove it from the fire place. The pipe was completely plugged. I had to remove the exhaust fan and clean it out. Linkage siezed etc. I don't think the fuse was blown, didn't check. I removed the wires and replace the holder with an automotive style holder. The original fuse was a 7 amp. I installed a 7.5.

dum e said:
He was loosing his house and liquidating. It hadn't worked for some time. I helped him remove it from the fire place. The pipe was completely plugged. I had to remove the exhaust fan and clean it out. Linkage siezed etc. I don't think the fuse was blown, didn't check. I removed the wires and replace the holder with an automotive style holder. The original fuse was a 7 amp. I installed a 7.5.

I'd be careful about upping the fuse rating....most pellet stoves today are either 5 or 6 amp. if you go too high, you may defeat the purpose of having the fuse in the first place. Could be why the original holder was burned. You could have let too much current through, and burned up something on the control board and that's why the ignitor keeps burning.

Just took a look at the owners manual. it says: "The igniter is located in the chamber at the bottom of the firepot. It is only on during the ignition cycle, and is usually on for the first two minutes and not more than four minutes."

And the correct fuse is 7 amp.

I read that also. Im checking some service manuals now. I can't find one for the 1100I. But I have found one for 1200I and the CastileI. Hoping I can learn something from them. Maybe there close cousins.

zinfit said:
Clean out the pipes. People wrongly assume that this is not neccesary with a pellet stove.
:question:

Not sure that's applicable here.....his ignitor won't shut off.

Not sure with the 1100 but if it has the same type of control box as mine do, when the thermocouple gets to 200 degrees the green light comes on in the control box and it starts to feed. when it gets to 600 degrees the red light (not the call light) comes on and shuts off the igniter. Maybe the thermocouple is not pushed against the end of the ceramic cover that extends into the burn area and not sensing the 600 degrees.

I have down loaded the manual already, Thank you. Im looking for a service manual. Based on what the installation manual tells me I need to bring the control board to the dealer for testing. I called 2 dealers today. I was told it could not be tested. You know, I have not had good luck with dealers in my area for pellet stoves. There all about you if your going to buy one. But thats about it. Thank goodness for the internet and intestinal fortitude.

Does your control box have the green and red lights that I mentioned above?

Yes it does. They are both on when the unit is in operation. The thing starts up and shuts down fine. The darn ignitor wont shut off.

OK, I just downloaded your operating manual and read that it has the lights. It says that if the red light does NOT come on in a certain amount of time, the igniter will shut off so, yep, you have a problem.
Have you been to forum.iburncorn.com yet? There is a Quadrafire section there that has a great tech support person, Kap, who may be able to help. also, other people with the same stove may be willing to try your box in their stove to see if they get the same problem. A two day shipment in a Priority Mail box may answer the question for sure if you need a new control unit.

if your green light is on with your red the stove is still in the start up mode an the igniter is still lit, turn off the stove unseat the control box , an reseat it , also you may try swaping the wires on the termole cpl see if that works .
the red light an green lite should not be on at the same time (control box bad)
also what kind of thermostic do you have ? programable ?or 24 volt

I did remove the box and reinstall it. It works as it should now. I am using a prgramable thermostat now. It appears to work well. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.