Quadrafire 1100 starting problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rfiddler

Nov 8, 2009
[email protected]
Hi all, I installed a Quadra-fire 1100 that i purchased used. It started up fine and ran great for the first few weeks. I noticed it sometimes had trouble lighting and had to hit the re-set button a couple times to get it going. Now it has quit working all together. I have cleaned the components. I adjust the thermostat and and can hear the thermostat respond at the stove, but then nothing. I pulled the vacuum hose and sucked on it and the feed motor started initially, but now even that won't go. I jumpered the #1 snap disc and the small combustion fan starts. The other snap discs show continuity. As I understand it, the exhaust fan is supposed to start up first. Is there a way to force the exhaust fan on so I can verify that it functions? or I am going about this backwards? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

....... found this for you..... hope it helps some..... click on pic to enlarge....cc.

Attachments

• 1100 trouble.jpg
    1100 trouble.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 2,737
So currently if you call for heat nothing happens at all? Not even the combustion blower comes on?

What happens if you unplug the stove then plug it back in again? The current models will run the comb blower for 15 minutes or so, I would assume the old ones did that also.

Nothing at all. No blowers come on. I have verified I have power to the unit. My owners manual says to reset snap switch #3, I did this, although i didn't hear any response ot re-setting the snap switch, there is continuity through the snap switch currently.

By the way, thanks Canada, I have this document also, can't get past the first step.

Rick

The vent fan comes on when power is turned on, will run for 10 min if no heat is called for. I would with power off disconnect the vent fan electrical leads, check for power at the wires with a simple 120 volt test light when you turn power on. If power there, bad motor, if no power bad fuse, wire connection or control box. Also #3 snap disc near auger housing, needs resetting, burn back protection, reset button in center of disc.

slls, I can see the exhaust fan. It is rotating very slowly and the motor itself is warm to the touch. Like it having difficulty starting? It rotated slowly and then picked up speed. The stove is trying to start now, so we will see. Do you think the motor is failing? The motor leads come off a silver oblong box, labeled Mallory? The stove is working now, after the exhaust fan started running faster, no pellets were being fed, so I hand fed it, then hit the reset button and the auger motor come on and started feeding pellets. Thanks for the help, I am running, but the slow exhaust fan start up is troubling.

Rick

Have you removed the exhaust blower to see if it has a lot of buildup on it? Possibly a good cleaning on it will take care of it.

.........yes.... sounds like the blower motor is the culprit..... as jtp10181 said..... probably needs a good cleaning or the bearings are seizing.... in which case, check with a bearing supply place if you are handy at replacing them or a new motor is $250 to $300. Good Luck........ cc :)

Rfiddler said:
slls, I can see the exhaust fan. It is rotating very slowly and the motor itself is warm to the touch. Like it having difficulty starting? It rotated slowly and then picked up speed. The stove is trying to start now, so we will see. Do you think the motor is failing? The motor leads come off a silver oblong box, labeled Mallory? The stove is working now, after the exhaust fan started running faster, no pellets were being fed, so I hand fed it, then hit the reset button and the auger motor come on and started feeding pellets. Thanks for the help, I am running, but the slow exhaust fan start up is troubling.

Rick

I found a wiring schematic at Quad, the 800 I think is same as yours. Shows a capacitor for each motor, the old motors must have been capacitor start. I would get access to the vent fan so you could turn it at start up, once you turn it if it takes off that could be it. At the same time check for motor binding , maybe bad bearing or need lube, not sure if quad used lube bearings on the old units or not, new motors are none lubed.

I accessed the exhaust t fan last night, it was very clean, the fan blade was a little loose, so I removed the fan blade and sprayed a little penetrating oil near the bearings. The fan is pretty sealed, so I don't think I did much good, but the fan took off running full speed after I put it back together. Maybe I helped? But it is functioning now, and I learned a lot about how the thing operate, thanks to all of your help. At least when and if it fails, I think I can get it going again.

Thanks, Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.