quadrafire 1200 i fuse blowing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtncat

Jan 22, 2012
Northern California
I have a quadrafire 1200 i where the fuse keeps blowing when I plug it in.
- First.. I pulled out stove from fire place.Right away I noticed loose wire to exhaust blower on left side. Spade on motor connection was broken off from from the wire being wire tied too tight and long term vibration . I am guessing.
- Second.. I used dikes( sidecutters) and cut all quick ties bundleing wires and all ties attaching wires to metal contact areas. Inspected carefully and no shorts or discoloration noted.
- Third.. I disconnected one motor item at a time and plugged in.. i.e auger,convection.. fuses still blew on each disconnnect. I was trying to isolate a shorted motor.
- Fourth.. I opened wireing harness box looking for shorts and loosened wire clamp to box to inspect it as well, all looked good. Noticed back of fuse holder was blackend.
- Fifth.. Pulled out control box and inspected contact point for shorts.. Ive see this before.. all looked good.
- Sixth.. I actually did this first,, checked outlet for proper voltage and power cord checked as well.

From all this i assumed the disconnected wire of the exhaust(combustion) motor shorted on the metal housing of the stove blowing the fuse. I didnt have a spare fuse holder and neither of my testers would fit in the small space of the wiring harness box to test it. From the looks of the fuse holder I think its shorting against the frame of the harness box,

So I bought a new combustion motor because reapairing the contact was not practical,,,cheap plastic. when I get it I will wire in a new fuseholder and check it out.. Hope i figured it out.
Any thoughts on what it might be or what I might be missing?
I should say Ive been servicing pellet stoves for a few years now. This is a first for me and I am posting this to see if anyone or folks more knowledgeable have any other ideas what it might be.
I just found this forum and think its awesome and its my first post.
Thanks in advance

Dont have any advice for you.... Im no electrician. But it sounds like your pretty good at it....

Welcome to the Forum. The Classic Bay is quite the heater and I hope you get it figured out.

If you dont have it, send me a pm with an email and I will send you the service manual for that stove as an attachment. Some of the diagrams might help you figure out your problem.

I have had that happen with a burnt out igniter also. By process of elimination I would unplug each component and find which one blows the fuse when reconnected. You may go through a few fuses but they are cheap.
Welcome to the forum.

Wwert, I thought of the ignitor at the time but it was the one thing i forgot to take out of the ciruit to test.I disconnected everything else in my process of elimination. I will check that... good call,Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.