Quadrafire 1200 wire issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneMan

Mar 20, 2008
Central NY
It is still pretty chilly here in the northeast so I run the stove from the time I get home until the next morning. Anyway, yesterday the stove fires up normally and I go about my business. About 1/2 hour or so later I walked into the living room and notice the smell of hot metal then I notice that heat is coming out of the stove but not being forced out (no convection fan).

So I open the side door and jiggle the purple wires on snap disk #1 and I get sporadic fan operation.

I shut the stove down and let it cool (the lid was almost too hot to touch).

I cycle the stove on again and monitor snap disk #1 with a multimeter (checking for continuity). The snap disk "snaps" as expected when the stove warmed up and maintained a circuit.

This leads me to think that the connector on the purple wire is bad.

The stove was new this past fall (11/07), and ran fine all winter.

Questions:

Are bad wire connectors a normal problem with Quad 1200's?

Can anyone think of a reason why I couldn't just clip the wires near the blade connectors and replace them?

Should I just contact my dealer and let them take care of it (warranty)?

I can't comment on Quad 1200's suffering this problem. However, it does sound like a warranty issue. Why would you not let the dealer take care of it if it doesn't cost you anything?

I can only speak about my CB1200i......wire connections havent been an issue.

It's an easy repair but if it's under warranty then you could/should call the nearest dealer.

I have had to do this repair on two stoves. One was a CB1200i. I just disconnect power from the unit, cut both wire connectors off and replaced them with something of the same size. Fan starting working better and if I wiggled it, it would now stay on.

It should be warranty and the dealer should come do the repair if you call and want them to do so.

jtp10181 said:
I have had to do this repair on two stoves. One was a CB1200i. I just disconnect power from the unit, cut both wire connectors off and replaced them with something of the same size. Fan starting working better and if I wiggled it, it would now stay on.

It should be warranty and the dealer should come do the repair if you call and want them to do so.

Emphasis on the "disconnect power"! That is 110v going to that snap disc. Ask me how I know :)

Yeah.... I never stick my hand inside the guts of a pellet unit without unplugging it. There are not many wires in there that don't have 110V in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.