Quadrafire 3100-I vs 4100-I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
Yes, buy your fireplace insert in the spring, the stove business is slow this time of the year, right? I do admit I don't see any "sales", are there ever sales on stoves/inserts? I"d think the factory would offer a spring time sale to boost sales, level out demand.

I am close to signing a contract for the installation of a Quadrafire 3100-I, but must say for only a few hundred more I could go for the 4100-I which has a larger fire box, and more viewing glass. The big bay-door on the 4100 does raise some concern in my mind, but I"m sure Quadrafire knows how to make it fit airtight, over the long term (more than 10 years). The other problem with picking the 4100-I is all i have is pictures, I haven't found one on the floor to look at.

Any advice/comments?

Size of house, insulation, layout (can you get good air flow out of the room?), looking to heat the whole house or just a room or two? These are just some of the questions that should be answered. I have the 4100i with the cast iron surround and love the looks over the 3100i. While I'm on the subject understand that Quadrafire calls the 4100i a cast iron insert, but it is not. Only the door, the top shelf piece, and blower housing is cast. Everything else is steel.

For overnight burns a large firebox helps a lot, giving the advantage to the 4100i. YOu can always throw on one or two splits at a time if you don't want maximum heat.

Stove shops will tell you that they are now ordering or getting in the inventory for next season, so deals might be had on some leftovers, but some items in the store are new on site.

MarkG

If you like the 4100i quad take a look at the hampton hi300, I was going to buy the quad until I found the hampton.

Thanks, my situation can make use of either size, I have about 2000 sf on two stories, with an open ceiling stairway off the room with the fireplace. A simple insert without the benefit of a true airtight chimney (liner) heated the whole house, albeit warmer in the room with the fireplace, by as much as 10 degrees. But, that's fine, we like the bedrooms cooler anyway...we also have forced air and run the circulation fan constantly when heating or air conditioning.

I still struggle with the "east/west" verses "north/south" loading of logs, my old insert had a very large fire box, it would take 24" logs north/south. That's one reason I looked with some interest in the Quad 4100-I, but even though it has a larger fire box, it is still "east/west", but with the side windows it appears it would give some of the better fire view I appreciate.

I have looked at other models and got a installed price on the Jotul Rockland, a big unit with "north/south" loading, it is about the same price as the 4100-I, or about $600 more than the 3100-I. I didn't price the Jotul Kennebec, but it should be closer to the price of the 3100. I haven't looked at the Hampton, is that the upgraded Regency? I think the shop we looked at the Rockland in had Regency (Hampton?) too, but if so whatever they had on display didn't attract my eye - I'll take a look on the web.

From the number claims I've looked at most inserts spec efficiency at about 75-80%, with the Quadrafire being at the upper end, and being one of the cleanest, especially the 3100 with under 2g/l emissions.

burntime,

I took a look at the Hampton hi300 on the web. Great looking unit, but a bit too Gothic/formal looking for my country/farmhouse style home. Looks like it really show the fire, does the glass stay clean very long? My old unit would smoke up after about 6 hours of burning hardwood. The Quad advertises it has an an air feed that washes the glass, keeping int clean (longer), or was that some other maker's claim? I think all the newer stoves and inserts have devised ways to keep the glass clear for viewing the fire, at least for a few days.

As long as you use seasoned wood ther is almost no haze on the glass... Occasionally a less then perfect piece finds it way in ;~) I think you can get the hampton without the enamal. I am just a fan of the larger hinge and the flat door rather than the half a stop sign face...easier in my opinion to fill with wood! Hampton has a single control rod as well. Either are decent stoves...I was set to buy the quad and saw the regency line at the home show (regency is the same as hampton without the fancier face, more like a standard 3100 quad) and fell in love with the look. Start stacking wood now and you will be on your way to a happy 1st season!!!

Hope the search is going well!I had a bunch of questions also then i bought mine.For me my insert has done very well for the 3 times i used it.I dont have any insulation around my ss liner,so far no disappointments!Whole house kept nice and warm,in fact wife opened a few upstairs windows because of too much heat.

Jerry, FWIW, I load my 4100i N/S and prefer that greatly over the E/W that my basement Lopi stove requires.

MarkG

My wife has now caught the 4100-I bug, likes the looks better than that of the 3100-I, the extra two windows is part of it, the cast iron trim may also be good "eye candy".

Looking more closely I see in the 4100-I the following when it comes to cleaning the chimney:
BAFFLE REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
NOTE: The baffle material is 2700° Fiber Board. Removing hardware exposed to combustion processes can be frustrating. If
your reason for removing the baffl e is simply to clean the chimney, you have alternatives which will save time and effort. Call
a qualifi ed chimney sweep or an authorized Quadra-Fire dealer for details.

Makes me wonder what the mystery method is. The manual on the 3100-I has a similar method, however, the 3100-I manual recommends using the above method to clean the chimney, not so for the 4100, I wonder why.

The baffle goes in the same way in both units as far as I have seen. Its not frustrating either. You take out three screws and three tubes. The only tricky part is, don't loose the tube retainer clips in the ashes. Sometimes getting the clips back in is tricky as well. I have taken these out in units heavily used / abused for many years and it just takes a little extra force but the screws come out every time.

Thanks again to you, jtp... It looked like I had a "technical" reason not to upgrade to the 4100-I, which now has my wife's eye. The cost of the step up to the 4100-I is a little over $600. I'm sure either will work as a heater for us, and I see the 3100-I is a bit cleaner burning, a plus. The extra space in the 4100 should allow for longer burns, but as we do not plan to heat 24/7 with the insert, that makes little difference. I'm fine with the the idea of the unit cooling down a few hours after I go to bed and the central heating system taking over the heat load until we decide to build the next fire, maybe not until the next evening, dinner time. The selling features on the 4100 are the extra windows and the Cast Iron trim, very nice looking.

Took the step, "signed" the order to install a Quadrafire 4100-I (Insert). I should be by mid June, then only 6 months to wait to try it out.

How does one post a picture in a post/reply? I see when using the "post a reply" I get the option to connect to an Attachment, which I assume can be a picture...must be a size limit.

Congrats! Jerry :coolsmile: Your getting yours just about the same time my dad is getting his (regency I2400 insert).Pics are a must!!! Just click on attachments on the bottom of the reply and choose a pic from the folder where you have the pics stored on your computer.I use 640*480 pics done by my digital camera for this forum!

Got a telephone call tonight, after dinner, these guys work late, from the Quadrafire Installer. He asked, how about tomorrow, I said good with me, he'll be here about 11 am to install my new Quadrafire 4100-I insert. He said it would take 2 to 3 hours and he brings two helpers to help do the heavy lifting. The 4100-I is only about 350 pounds, so not real heavy and I assume he moves it with the big three window door off and fire bricks out, I would.

I'll post a picture or two tomorrow if all goes as planned.

I got a good friend that has an old farmhouse and he has both quad inserts, the 3100 in a smaller room, and the 4100 in his "great" room. You did the right thing with the 4100, in my opinion. I just looked at both of 'em a week ago or so, he had 'em installed a month ago. The 4100 is a fine looking unit, and I opened and closed the door, inspected how it seats when closing, looked at the gasket all around, and deemed it a finely manufactured piece of heating equipment :)

Thanks for the input, fortunately a good one as I've already been billed the first 1/2 of the cost, I get billed the second half when the installation is completed today. The one item I was concerned about is the large door. I did look at the unit in the store before making my decision and was impressed with the wide seal and strong hinges, time will tell. It was the looks and the assumed better view of the fire that sold my wife. The 3100 was big enough for the heating job it would have gotten here, but as it worked out the dealer who is supplying the equipment had the 4100 in his wear house, that's where I looked at the very unit I purchased, and he offered 10% off if I'd take it, that put it at about the same price as the 3100.

Quadrafire is a good "name" and I'm sure they back up their equipment. I think the 4100 has been out for only a couple of years, maybe three or four, but enough time to have run up some operational hours.

Well Jerry I think you made the right decision...hope you enjoy your new stove.

From a fellow Quad. owner, congratulations, may it produce many BTUs of heat in the future. :)

Jay

Here's a repeat from another thread, with pictures this time.
My Quadrafire installation went well, one small 15 minute problem, today with a crew of three. The long chimney I have also has a “bend” in it, so after trying to feed the stainless steel liner down to the insert level and not succeeding, they pulled it out, attached a rope to the lead end and did it again, this time put a “pull” to help the “push”, and the liner (flexible) came around the bend. I don’t know why there is a bend in the tile lined masonry chimney, but there is. Maybe it has something to do with the smoke chamber and the draft… anyway, the 30+ foot liner went in and I’ll not know how well the draft is for several months. The good news for me (an others who take action) is if here’s a rush on stoves/inserts in the fall, I/we already have our grin

The whole on-site job took 2.5 hours, or 7.5 man hours. There was at least another hour for the three of them to pick up the stove and chimney parts and bring them to my house. I’d put to total man hours about 12, given they have to back “home”. Given what I saw ant the time it took, the $650 total labor charge (plus tax) seems reasonable to me.

The first side view shows the "bay window" looking form a side, the second picture shows the full view of the quad's new home. Cooler today, but sorry no pictures with a fire going before October.

Attachments

• QuadFull.JPG
    QuadFull.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 636
  • QuadSide.JPG
    QuadSide.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 682
Don't worry about the door. All the steel on that stove is warrantied for life. Only thing you will have to do is replace the gasket once and a while.

Very nice job Jerry :)!Now i bet you cant wait for the heating season to begin.

Very nice looking stove and installation. The anticipation is rewarded.

Now, turn up the A/C and light that sucker up! :cheese:

That's a beauty Jerry, congratulations. Hopefully it won't be until fall before you get to try it out. We'll send you some of our chilly stuff so you can give it a go. If it gets down to 60 at night, fire it up with the windows all open. It'll take a couple fires to get rid of the smoke from the new paint and oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.