QuadraFire 4100 I Ceramic Blanket Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I removed the 2700 degree Fiber Board and the Ceramic Blanket (lays on Board) to clean the chimney. I didn't make any note of the position - which I assume were correct. The owner manual is also silent on the exact placement fore/aft. If I push the Board/Blanket all the way back it will restrict the combustion flow up that route, If I pull it forward it will reduce the frontal escape for combustion flow, but not block it. I'd guess the position should be about in the middle fore/aft.

Thanks, I'll look on page 24 and find out why I didn't see it ;) This seems to comport with burning logic, if there is such a thing. The air inlets are the "shotgun" at the back (normally closed) and the overhead tubs, 4 of them. The combustion gasses having to go forward to get out will force them into the stream of incoming air, secondary combustion (one of the 4 I guess) and one that is visible when the fire is hot, especially soon after loading.

How long have you had the 4100 I? I'm coming up on my third season and just did my first cleaning. I had a bit of difficulty getting the brush up the chimney (24' length) from the heart end. This had nothing to do with removing the Board/Blanket, just getting around the early bend back from the Insert, and then after the smoke shelf step back the bend to regain a vertical run up the chimney. I'm in hardwood country so most of my fires have been with seasoned hard wood, perhaps as much as 4 cords over two years (not my main heating supply). I guess I got about a cup of black granules from the upper section. I had a shop vacuum running so I really didn't get a chance to measure and haven't tried to sort out the collection of stuff in the vacuum container.

Not really cold enough here yet for a fire... I have used the heat pump some, but consider that effective for the sole heat source at temperatures above 30 degrees. I have a geothermal, so it is also efficient at colder outdoor temperatures, but of course it has to supply more heat at those times.... so if it fits my schedule the QF gets fired up and stays up all evening, and some of the night.

this is my first year with a stove and I hope to use it as my only heat source. When I clean it I will go from the top since its not too hard to get up there unless the roof is covered in snow/ice. I think we will be in the 3-4 cord range this winter, but who knows. Our house is not that big and the floor plan allows for efficient warming of the house.

I just bought mine this year so the manual might be different?

Not to extend this thread endlessly, I will confess that I now see in my manual the requirement to push the board to the back ... on page 22, seems there must be something more in the newer manuals, but even my manual does state how to "reinstall" the board/blanket.

Thanks, as usual I found the information/help I needed on the great hearth forum.

Keep warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.