Quadrafire 4100i - temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MofoG23

Feeling the Heat
We recently had a Quadrafire 4100i installed - a couple weeks ago and have been burning ever since...

I have a IR thermometer to measure temps all around the insert. My question is - does anyone know what the max temps would be for the 4100i? I'm taking readings from the stove top (7" flat surface and around the door). I've gone through the owners manual and all it says is to watch for over burning by looking at the chimney connector (red glow) - well, I can't see the chimney connector due to the trim and would like to use the thermometer to see how hot I can get the insert up to without damage.

I e-mailed Quadrafire and have not heard back from them...

Thank you!

Generally speaking, you'll find that for most plate steel stoves the overfire area is around 800F on the stove top. Some may go a little lower, some a tad higher, but 800F is a good general area. I find that my stove is happiest when cruising along around 650F.

Quadrafire just got back to me... here was their response.

The 4100I front and top of the stove maximum temperature is 600 degrees.

The Glass is rated for 1200 degrees.

The Flue pipe is rated to 1700 degrees.

Thank you for your inquiry.

I guess I need to keep an eye on the front and not exceed 600. I've been pretty damn close to that already with a full load and a nice bed of hot coals...

Ithink its like the hampton. There is an air space that the blower sends air thru. I could be wrong but it thats the case 600 still is high...

Yes, there is an airspace between the actual insert and the stove top (where the blower output is). The highest I have seen that was 400 with the blower off - at the same time, the area around the door was a bit over 600, closer to 650 I think (not the glass). This was with the full load, large bed of coals and the air valve open (not the starter valve).

When they stated that the stove top and door area should not exceed 600, I doubt their specs as its impossible to get both area's at the same temp. If the stove top gets to 600, the door area is going to be MUCH higher than 600 degrees.

Then your stove is/would be much higher then 600 if it read 600 there...

then I guess I'll go with the lowest common denominator and not let the front of my stove go over 600 degrees.... which is easy to do with a full load, a nice bed of coals and the secondary burn kicks into high gear - I was hoping it could go a bit higher - closer to 700/800 and still be within operating spec...

This is going to be my first year, so I just want to know the limits and get a feel for the insert - guess I found it - 600 is the top of a "high burn" rate.

I thought the stove was plate steel! My apologies. Next time I should "right click + Google" and make sure.

Well, from my understanding only the door is cast iron and some of the front (stove top). The rest of the stove is plate steel I believe.

One thing I would consider from my own experience is when I read temperature between my Rutland magnetic therm versus the infrared therm the infrared consistently reads approx 100 deg higher versus the Rutland. The only exception to this rule that I have observed is when you point the infrared to a shiny service like the stainless flue adapter. That reading will be significantly lower compared to dark mat or low gloss services on the cast iron surfaces. Pointing the infrared at the glass door is even more extreme.. 500Deg on the glass translates to approx 1200deg when I open the door and point to the coal bed and flames.

It appears that the air gap between the Rutland maybe an 1/8 of an inch or so accounts for the hundred degree difference. I've found this to be very consistent between the Rutland and the infrared so I have an accurate reference to work from.. My Clydesdale calls for a 600 degree max temp with a magnetic therm (700 on the infrared) so that's what I try to stick with..

Status
Not open for further replies.