Quadrafire 4100i vs 5100i vs Voyager Grand Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Dec 18, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to make a decision this weekend on a stove. I was in our local dealer today and was all set to buy a 5100i insert when the salesman said that may be too much for my house. I have a 2300 sq foot colonial in Maryland. He said that it may make my house too warm causing me to run it at 1/2 load which wouldn't be as efficient.

He is a big fan of the Voyager Grand and says it has been their best seller and would be a good size for my home. They also have the 4100i on sale for $700 off which is attractive.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with any of these stoves?

Thank you!

The Voyager Grand is a 2.35 cu ft stove. That will struggle to heat 2300 sq ft during the colder months. Also, it will NOT get 14 hour burns.

The 4100 isn't much bigger at 2.4 cu ft.

The 5100 is 3 cu ft. A 3 cu ft is completely appropriate for a 2300 sq ft home and that is what I would lean towards if this was my purchase.

I currently have a 4100i. It heats my 1700 ft house well. I personally would go for the 5100i if I had a house of your size. Its always better to have one slightly larger than one that will not properly heat the house, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. The 4100i is tempting with the savings, but I can see what you are saying about going bigger.

I'm also heating a drafty 1700 sqft house without an issue using a 4100i. If I was trying to heat a larger house (2000+ sqft), no question I'd go with the 5100i.

Did this person come out to your home and take a look? If the insert is going into a confined room the 5100i may infact be to big if there is no way to get the heat out from the room it will be in. Keep in mind with the Voyager you are paying for the cast iron. If you plan on starting the stove and not letting it die down until spring you may not want to spend the extra on the cast iron. The cast iron is beatifull though and it will continue to radiate heat longer than the steel once the fire goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.