Quadrafire 4300 ST not burning hot enough and smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhiscribe

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2010
North Central Pa
Greetings.

Recently, I replaced my Sierra with a new Quadrafire 4300 ST with a blower and ashpan. The first few times I fired it up according to the instructions, it worked okay, but the stove pipe temp barely reached 300 even with a sizable load of dry, seasoned ash. I used the ACC (it clicked) and adjusted the top air control to allow for maximum burn. The third time I used the unit, it filled the house with smoke. I immediately shut off all air and vented the house. I've checked the chimney (I clean it regularly but we have had birds find their way in) and all the stove pipe without finding any blockage. Might there be an issue with the damper and, if so, is that something I can fix on my own? I haven't had a chance to speak with the dealer yet (hoping to do so in the morning).

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First thing we need to know is your chimney setup. What was fine for the old Sierra, and I know of what I speak having burned in one for 21 years, isn't always ideal for the EPA stoves. Also this weather right now isn't conducive to good chimney draft either.

BrotherBart said:
First thing we need to know is your chimney setup. What was fine for the old Sierra, and I know of what I speak having burned in one for 21 years, isn't always ideal for the EPA stoves. Also this weather right now isn't conducive to good chimney draft either.

It's ceramic. It's an external chimney on the west end of the house. The house is a split level with the wood stove in the basement. I don't currently use a cap, though have one available. Might this be part of the solution?

jhiscribe said:
It's ceramic. It's an external chimney on the west end of the house. The house is a split level with the wood stove in the basement. I don't currently use a cap, though have one available. Might this be part of the solution?

Yep. What is the size of the flue tiles and how tall is that puppy? With a split level I am betting only ten feet or so. If you are dumping into a tile chimney that short you ain't ever gonna get a strong enough draft for that Quad to walk and talk. A stainless liner will help but you may end up having to put an extension on the chimney too. EPA stoves put out a lot of heat on just a little wood but they need a really strong draft to do it.

I'll give a pointer here also. BB is on the right track.

Out of all the calls I have been on I don't think I ever found anything really wrong with anyones fireplace (that was causing burning issues). Its either, the wood, the chimney, or the burning habbits.

The Quad units are pretty simple. The new ACC seems a little more complex but once you have taken it apart and understand it... it is quite simple after all.

BrotherBart said:
jhiscribe said:

Yep. What is the size of the flue tiles and how tall is that puppy? With a split level I am betting only ten feet or so. If you are dumping into a tile chimney that short you ain't ever gonna get a strong enough draft for that Quad to walk and talk. A stainless liner will help but you may end up having to put an extension on the chimney too. EPA stoves put out a lot of heat on just a little wood but they need a really strong draft to do it.

The tile is 7 1/2 by 7 1/2. The chimney is 18 feet from the intersection of the stove pipe to the top. It has an access door beneath that intersection. You think sealing that door and using the cap would make the difference?

jhiscribe said:
Greetings.

Recently, I replaced my Sierra with a new Quadrafire 4300 ST with a blower and ashpan. The first few times I fired it up according to the instructions, it worked okay, but the stove pipe temp barely reached 300 even with a sizable load of dry, seasoned ash. I used the ACC (it clicked) and adjusted the top air control to allow for maximum burn. The third time I used the unit, it filled the house with smoke. I immediately shut off all air and vented the house. I've checked the chimney (I clean it regularly but we have had birds find their way in) and all the stove pipe without finding any blockage. Might there be an issue with the damper and, if so, is that something I can fix on my own? I haven't had a chance to speak with the dealer yet (hoping to do so in the morning).

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I just bought a new 5700 Quad, haven't fired it yet , but looking inside from the top, to make sure the ceramic board was all the way to the back, I couldn't believe how thick the insulation blanket is, compared to a Country stove I use to have, like twice as thick. My point, I'm just wondering being that blanket is so thick if that could be bunched up closing off your flue opening on your stove. That would surely make it smoke and create a cold chimney. Be interesting to see what is causing your problem.

I'm no expert but, Im venting into a larger, shorter flue than what you have and on a 50 deg day, I can get a pretty good draft. Any warmer than that and it wont get hot. Im honestly doubting that your chimney is the problem, it sounds like a stuck damper or you were trying to fire when it was too warm outside.

My 7 1/4 inch round tile chimney 18 ft tall works fine for my summit even in the warmer weather, since it worked good the first couple of times I am with mrfjsf it could be a stove issue.

Is it possible that a control rod has disconnected, and your actually staying in a slow burn mode?

jhiscribe said:
BrotherBart said:
jhiscribe said:

The tile is 7 1/2 by 7 1/2. The chimney is 18 feet from the intersection of the stove pipe to the top. It has an access door beneath that intersection. You think sealing that door and using the cap would make the difference?
gotta seal the cleanout door or whatever other holes into chimney. al foil held by closed door may do the trick

jhiscribe said:
BrotherBart said:
jhiscribe said:

Yes, cleanout doors rob draft, it's just like a hole in a straw. I use to stuff insulation up mine and duct tape the door seams. I would also install a cap to keep the weather and critters out. I would try this before considering a liner since your current chimney is close to the same size as your stoves exhaust.

I start my cold stove with unmentionables such as cardboard & lighter fluid & even so I start with the door wide open when the fire is weak. If I close the door too early, I can see the cardboard has a flame on 1 end but "smoke/steam" comes from the other end so I open the door again & the smoke/steam gets drafted out better. cardboard is pretty dry but burning it results in CO2 & H2O both which if not evacuated by adequate draft will choke the fire

He is only getting the stove pipe up to 300 degrees with a good load of ash so I believe he is past the start up point.
I can get my stove pipe temp up to 350 or 400 with three pieces of crappy elm.

oldspark said:
He is only getting the stove pipe up to 300 degrees with a good load of ash so I believe he is past the start up point.
main factor here is smoke in the house. chimni on W side + black roof might create a heated zone for the top of the chimni in the afternoon & this would obstruct drafting? tile chimni absorbs lotta heat, especially exterior, more when colder

~*~vvv~*~ said:
oldspark said:
main factor here is smoke in the house. chimni on W side + black roof might create a heated zone for the top of the chimni in the afternoon & this would obstruct drafting? tile chimni absorbs lotta heat, especially exterior, more when colder
I guess I was refering to when it worked with out the smoke in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.