QuadraFire 4300 (too Big)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this my QuadraFire has been burning well this winter three months burning. Have checked stovepipe had some flaking brushed it out. Started burning hotter seems OK but this thing is really to big for my space. I have quite a pipe run that comes out of my chase. I included reference shot of house showing chase. Before install no pipe there at that time. I really am thinking of going to a smaller unit that will burn more efficiently. House will peg out at 82 degrees and stay there. We open the door to the garage to temper the heat works pretty well. I think even with our ceiling fans and all that it's a very efficient system. Maybe too efficient. Should I look for a smaller cat type stove that I can keep at a lower setting? Anybody need to upsize? I have 33 feet to the peak inside and it keeps the whole house warm with the great room unbearable. I have 14+ feet of stovepipe and 18+ feet of Chimney that's a lot of draft!!!!!!

ddown

Attachments

• _MG_0147.jpg
    _MG_0147.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 661
  • _MG_0133.jpg
    _MG_0133.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 648
Huh? well that's a complaint you don't hear too often around here...before swapping out stoves try cutting your splits in half then the stove will put out half the firepower.

Your house must be well insulated. My house is not and I am looking into adding some insulation or another stove. The Fireview I have is a cat stove and you can cut the air supply down, way down, and hold the stove at 300 - 350 for hours on just a couple of splits.

What is the lowest surface temp that you can get that Quad to burn at consistently?

BrotherBart I only have Flue Thermometer keep it around 350 never over 475

It will hold an evening 80 degree fire which I let burn down before bed and be 65-68 inside in AM with no overnight burn.

Pretty well insulated and that's with temps in the 20s

If your house is too hot you are burning too much wood. Just cut down on the wood; there's no need to change the stove. When I don't need much heat I re-split each split into 4 or 5 pieces. Put in about 7 pieces like that. It burns hot and efficient but the fire doesn't last long. House stays warm for hours though.

For the past few days that's how I have been burning a few crisscross splits runs well and keeps warm for 7 or eight hrs like that.

Nice looking palce you have there. Do you have southern exposure on all that glass? I can see it getting very warm in there with all that solar gain and the wood stove blazing. I also agree cutting back on splits will help, and get another thermometer for your stove top to monitor what stove temps won't roast you out. If your looking to replace that stove make sure you check out Woodstock. I think a catalytic soapstone would be a great fit for you.

Encourage you to get another magnetic thermometer for the stove top. On my 5700 step top I place the thermometer centered from left and right and 5 inches from the front edge. This keeps it away from the baffles/insulation in the firebox and also away from direct line of the heated convected air coming from the upper step. Seems like you could burn fewer splits at a time and run it hot enough to not build creosote. Would be nice to have enough stove to have plenty of heat for any below 0 temps.

I will get a another thermometer and check back on results. It's a northwest exposure more west than north !!!!! Afternoon sun comes in well. But don't see much here in Michigan.

Well Santa was good went out and bought a Hearthstone Homestead and brought it home. I think the heat level will be better.
Anyone in Michigan need a QuadraFire I have it on Craigslist Lansing. I'm including the Blower and it has the gold trim. 1600.00 on craigslist 1500 to members.

If a small stove like that could launch my house to 80+....

I don't know.

Something something.

Jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.