quadrafire 5700 or englander 30nc?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdrew

Jun 4, 2008
Maine
www.chrisdrew.net
I am thinking of getting one of these to put in my basement to heat the house. I have good flow and keep the basement door open all winter as 1/2 the basement is finished off anyways.

Any opinions on either of these stoves vs. the other.

They'll both put out the heat but did you ever consider moving the stove upstairs where the family would be warmer and ya all could enjoy the fire?

Yeah, I've thought about it. With our house layout there just isn't a good spot to put it without having a flu in the front of the house. UGLY!

The quadrafire is rated a a much higher btu, but around the same firebox size. Is it more efficient?

Cris we have the QF 4300 steptop and are very pleased with it, burns less wood than with our non EPA stove...and everyone that stops by comments on it's looks and heat output also on how unobtrusive it is compared to the other stove.

btw I've heard positive comments on the heating aspects englander 30nc too...if I recall correctly the englander mostly didn't have the attention to detail in the 'lookswise' department, but that stove is a real heat engine and that sounds more like your objective.

If your absolutely set on putting a stove in your basement the englander is the less expensive stove and may suit your purpose better.

Now if an installer comes over to estimate the job and on his way up the cellar stairs says something like ... 'hey this corner upstairs would be a perfect place for a stove...' then consider the QF.

ps an important consideration to me is for the stove to load NS...just say'en

I actually have a pellet stove in the basement too. I am going to move that to the room over the garage to heat that, and the whole 2nd floor. The wood will be used to heat the basement, 1st floor, and whatever rises to the 2nd floor. Can either of these burn coal also?

No chris coals out of the question with both those stoves.

edit to add...

If I were you I'd just install another pellet stove...they can do the job. Pallets of pellets are easier to live with than endless wood reshuffling. Check out pellet forum here and I think you'll find the solution to all your heating needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.