QuadraFire 7100 Burn rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLandLL

Jan 23, 2016
New York
Hello,
I have been using a QuadraFire 7100 for about 6 years-- professionally installed, and love the unit, other than the well-known ash retention problem. The unit has had the door rope gaskets replaced 3 times-- most recently by me, using QuadraFire parts. (BTW-- Is there a place here where people talk about laying in the rope gaskets around the glass in this unit? The professional gasket replacement I had done actually was pretty bad.)
So my current question is that I've notice this year I can't throttle down the fire as I am used to in the past. Full-bore open burns super hot as I remember, but when I push the air lever all the way to the left ( and I fell resistance so it appears to be connected internally) , I still see substantially yellow flame. In the past I remember pulling down the internal air to the point that I would enjoy wild blue flames rolling past the door windows ). My wood seems to go faster when the fire is choked also.
Any ideas? I don't think it's my rope gasket job, but could be wrong.
PL

Could be air leakage. Did you do a dollar bill test at several locations around the door gasket?

Thanks Begreen. No, And that's a good place to start.

This might be a stupid question but I have read many places about the dollar bill test that if it can be pulled out easily it is too loose. What does "easily" mean. On my stove I can't pull it out on one end but near the handle I can pull it out but there certainly is some resistance. Not sure how to judge if this is a problem or not. I do feel like I burning too much wood though.

Yes sj9, that's a good question. Too ba they don't make a torque wrench that can calibrate the pulling force. Whoops-- there's a product idea in the making!
But since we are pointing at a potential gasket seal issue, is there anything on this site where gasket seal replacement on the 7100 can be seen? I know the professional job I had done was pretty poor ( maybe poor materials were used), and when I redid the job I used my best judgement on th sela placement.
Regarding my burn rate question, assuming for a second that it is not the gasket, does anyone know if the air choke to throttle down the combustion air on this unit ever gets wonky. What I mean is does the linkage ever get weird so the choke doesn't close down all the way?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.