Quadrafire 7100 running.....my first impressions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinagirl

Sep 17, 2008
SC
I LOVE this thing!!!! The first burn was so bad. There was so much smoke I was sure the doors were leaking. But no....it was just the paint, oils, etc from the outside burning off. Quadrafire really should do better about delivering a cleaner product. There was so much smoke that the smoke alarms went off. I had to open the skylights to vent the house. It was bad! The mechanical timer that operated the automatic combustion control is not working eight, that will be handled by my new installer. But those two issues aside, I love this quadrafire. Even hubby says it was worth the money and the huge hassle we endured to get the installation completed.

We put three large logs in before bed, get them burning well, and then turn the air control down pretty low. Hubby is an early riser and there is always enough burning coal to add a few more logs and burn until mid morning. Then we just let it die back and reload it in the evening if it's cold. Even by early evening, the stove is still quite warm to the touch and the coals are still going. We could probably rekindle them but usually go ahead and start fresh. Its very easy to get a new fire going. The house has not gone colder than 70 since we got this stove going.

This is my first EPA stove and the efficiency is astounding. There is very little visible smoke coming out of the chimney and very, very little ash to be removed. The secondary burn of the gasses is simply beautiful to watch. This is a very well designed fireplace. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for something that is not only very attractive, but that can actually heat a good sized house.

Enjoy your new stove, carolinagirl. FYI, all painted stoves do that offgassing during the first few burns, it's not a Quadrafire-specific issue. I'm sure it's outlined in the stove manual (which I hope you read....). Cheers.

Congrats.

all stoves do what you said during the first fires.

Great to hear CarolinaGirl!, especially after all that you went thru during the install. As everyone has said already, the initial burn smells are normal. Please post pics of the final product! Congrats again!

Wish that I would have read this BEFORE I fired up my new Quadrafire 7100 for the first time. The "haze" in the house was unbelievable, and how it didn't set off the smoke detectors is beyond me. (Note to self, new smoke detectors?) If not for this thread during my moment of panic, my stress level would not have come down for days.

Thanks to all!

Welcome and congratulations on the new fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.