Quadrafire 7100 Secondary air manifold defect (Updated with Dealer Fix Info)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

I've been running a Quad 7100 for 3 seasons and have never over fired. This past season I noticed that the back support beam (my term not sure what its really called) has a couple of bulges. I didn't think much of it until I checked out my buddy's 7100 who installed it the same year and his has a crack in the exact same place. I'll have to get a picture of his unit to show the crack but in the meantime how concerned should I be? It appears that this is a support beam that runs the whole fire box and is welded in. I checked the manual but can't figure out if its something that can be replaced. Any thoughts on whether this needs to be fixed and how it can fixed? here is the online manual http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/man_7100fp.pdf

Attachments

• DSCN0034.JPG
    DSCN0034.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,949
It appears to be the secondary air manifold. I would darn sure be looking for some answers from Quad.

thanks BB, any idea if the whole unit has to be pulled out or if they can replace from within?

Have to wait for jtp to cruise by the thread. He works with Quads a lot. You should be able to see if it is welded in.

Looks like the area for the Manifold Tubes, they should be replaceable, in fact I think they are removed to clean the chimney from the fireplace end.

Good luck.

The manifold tubes are fine, i take them out to clean. here's another pic that show how that back support is welded into the frame of the box.

Attachments

• DSCN0035-1.JPG
    DSCN0035-1.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 1,920
Quad's lifetime warranty is on the steel and cast iron components to work as designed. I would be interested in seeing a rep say that secondary air manifold was designed to buckle. :mad:

I bet that right where it bulged is where the cooler secondary intake air hits it when is the stove is hot.

I see. For others who may not know, clicking on the picture will enlarge it a bit. I see what looks like a "box" frame at the sides and behind the manifold tubes. And, above the fire brick with holding tabs on top. I have no idea what the "bulges" are, it appears the metal got soft, started to melt. But I don't know, and will follow with interest as I have a new 4100-I which may have a similar structure, albeit the 4100-I is an insert, not a fireplace.

I really hope its something they can fix without removing because it will be next to impossible to remove or much too expensive for me to pay for.

Attachments

• Quad 7100-2.JPG
    Quad 7100-2.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,186
Looks great, how's the heating?

I have a neighbor who was looking first at a 5100-I then learned the existing prefab fireplace would not take the insert...so they may tear it out and put in a new fireplace, I suggested the 7100, based on my decision on a 4100-I and a trust in Quadrafire. Now we'll see how they work with you. Every thing I've heard so far is they back their product.

Hmmm... what happened there. I have never seen one do tht before and I have seen some abused units. I would definatly contact your dealer with pics and have them open a case qith Quad.

My guess is Quad will say that there is no harm in running like that but if it cracks or breaks to let them know. They actually stated that the cracks in the rear manifold (on the stoves and inserts) like TMonitor had do not cause any bad side effects either, and since they were replacing too many stoves due to it they made up a fix-it kit instead.

Anyway.... if they do decide they need to replace it you won't have to pay a dime. They pay for everything and the labor for the first 5 years.

Here's the pic of 7100 my buddy owns. notice its almost in the exact same spot and his is cracked. he has actually burned less then I have as his first year he barely used his.

Attachments

• quad.JPG
    quad.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,732
If he burns a fire in that fireplace and looks through the glass he will be able to see combustion in the form of a flame that looks like it is coming out of that crack and burning right against that red spot on the back. That is secondary air that is escaping before it makes it around the manifold to the tubes and igniting gases in the firebox. Essentially a blowtorch blowing on the steel back of the stove.

Those folks have a design problem.

But also it looks like he has the rear burn tube installed backwards. The holes should be facing the front. If he has it in backwards he kinda sorta caused some of this.

Good eye BB, and I note three tubes showing in the picture of the original poster, looks like the picture is either cutting off a tube or there are two in backwards.

I'll take a look at my 4100-I to be sure the holes are facing forward....but I suspect the fireplace was manufactured correctly, the tubes got put in backwards after being removed to clean the chimney. What do you think?

It is actually not really possible to "install" the tubes backwards like that. The locking pin hole would not be in the correct spot. So it must just be free floating there.

Alright we have service calls scheduled with the dealer. they said they need to come and out and see if its in fact a defect or if its "user error". What?

I'm sure it will be weeks if not a month before a Quad rep comes out so I'll open up a new thread when we get a decision. I really hope there is a fix because if they have to remove the unit it will be next to impossible due to all the stone work.

I doubt a Quad rep will come out.... well.. maybe. But for us we just send them pictures. A couple times I just had the user email me pics and I didn't have to go out except for the repair.

Any updates on this? Just this week I had a customer contact me with the same problem. His has a crack in it like your friends. I already got a case going and it sounds like Quad is either going to make a custom fix kit for me to install or they are going to send an engineer out here to fix it on site. So there won't be any tearing out of the unit.

JTP sorry about the delay, just got back from vacation in Alaska. Dealer came out to my buddies houses and took pics, they want to come out to look at mine and check it out. They said there have been other cases and quad has a fix, might require welding but the unit will not have to be removed. I'll update you once they come out and render a decision.

jtp10181 said:
Any updates on this? Just this week I had a customer contact me with the same problem. His has a crack in it like your friends. I already got a case going and it sounds like Quad is either going to make a custom fix kit for me to install or they are going to send an engineer out here to fix it on site. So there won't be any tearing out of the unit.

Spoke to the dealer today. They already logged a ticket with Quad last week for both units (my buddies and mine). Said he might have to come out and take a pic of mine, I told him I can email. He said there is a fix already developed by Quad, he didn't have all the details but said it would require cutting out the affected bar and replacing with a new one that would bolt on. He said he should have the kits in within 2-3 weeks and have all the details.

So I guess the question is will air leak from the replacement if its bolted on? Should I be concerned about other steel components melting in the unit over time? What do you guys think?

SCFA said:
So I guess the question is will air leak from the replacement if its bolted on? Should I be concerned about other steel components melting in the unit over time? What do you guys think?

I think that you need to give the fix a chance. But a documentation trail at this point and from here on is golden. If it leaks while you are burning you will be able to see it. On my 30-NC somebody flubbed a weld low on the secondary air manifold and I spotted it in a heartbeat because there was a pencil thin blue flame coming from it when burning. That one fixed with a dab of furnace cement which was easier on my back than dragging the stove back out.

Alright some progress, the dealer called and said Quad is flying 2 guys out from Washington the week of the 15th. My dealer will also be sending out 2 reps with them. They are going to fix both my buddies (the one with the cracked manifold) and mine same day/week. He said we will be the first fixes and that they will be training my dealer on how to do it. My dealer (Woodheat) is pretty big so I assume that played into this. Not sure how I feel about being the guinea pig. I am glad they are handling this before it gets cold.

SCFA said:
Alright some progress, the dealer called and said Quad is flying 2 guys out from Washington the week of the 15th. My dealer will also be sending out 2 reps with them. They are going to fix both my buddies (the one with the cracked manifold) and mine same day/week. He said we will be the first fixes and that they will be training my dealer on how to do it. My dealer (Woodheat) is pretty big so I assume that played into this. Not sure how I feel about being the guinea pig. I am glad they are handling this before it gets cold.

While you are being the guinea pig for them to figure it out, at least they are going to fix it. It will be documented so if later on they modify the way they fix the problem, they will fix yours again. It is not good you have a problem, but at least they will fix it. Jeff

At least they will have a few under their belt before they come fix my customers :). If they are sending the guy who I think they are sending he is VERY good. I have worked with him before. You won't be disappointed by their work.

jtp10181 said:
At least they will have a few under their belt before they come fix my customers :). If they are sending the guy who I think they are sending he is VERY good. I have worked with him before. You won't be disappointed by their work.

The question is, just how often do they have to send this guy? Steel wood stoves have a long history of install it and not worry about it. Mine isn't a Quad but had to be replaced. I wondered then if I should have bought a Quad instead. So much for that.

The one it replaced was built like a tank. Lately I am wondering if the thin crap they are building hotter burning EPA steel stoves out of is a reason for concern for all stove brand buyers. Thirty minutes in the UL testing lab ain't five years in my living room.

No shot at any brand. It is a question about the steel stove industry as a whole.

And I am a steel stove lovin kinda guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.