1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Quadrafire 7100 wiring

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by JamesM, Nov 13, 2012.

1. JamesM

JamesM New Member

Hi All.
    I wish I had found this site a few weeks ago, but I have picked up some good info just browsing around.

I bought a new 7100 a few weeks ago. I couldn't get much help with the installation, but my wife and I managed to get the unit up into the house and in place. (good to be married to an engineer).

Everything seems to have fit together pretty well, but I am balking at the wiring. I'm definitely NOT an electrical guy, and the wiring instructions (page 38, Fig. 6.4) aren't crystal clear. Specifically I'm unclear on the ground wires. I have the 14-2 and 14-3 wires as called for. When I match the colors on the fireplace end, there is still a ground wire dangling out here. I reached around inside the unit but don't feel any stray wires in there. Electricity is all voodoo to me, but it is going to take time for either of the electricians I called to make the 30 mile drive out from town. Any help would be appreciated, and from the posts here it sounds like this is pretty basic stuff to most of you.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mdc0326

mdc0326 New Member

Loc:
    Clay Michigan
    You need to ground the stove box with the ground wire, look to see if one of the screws that screw into the stove has the ground symbol or if one is anodized green, if not just twist and crimp a loop on the wire and attach it under one of screws by the strain relief and you will be fine.

All of the ground wires need to be tied together all the way back to the main service panel to make sure the unit is grounded and you are protected from being shocked.
  3. JamesM

JamesM New Member

Thanks Matt. None of the screws in that area have any markings, but it's easy enough to hook on to one of them. I was leaning toward hooking all of the grounds together back to the source, but being unfamiliar with electric schematics I wasn't sure. I appreciate the input.
  4. Benchwrench

Benchwrench Member

Loc:
    State of Confusion
    did you get it figured out?
  5. JamesM

JamesM New Member

Yes, thanks for checking up. The fan works fine, even though it doesn't blow a great deal of air. From reading other posts, I guess that's typical. I'm a long ways from finished, but all it takes from here is time and money. At least I can make some heat.

Thanks again for following up. I'm still reading threads and picking up some good info.