Quadrafire 7100 wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesM

Nov 13, 2012
Hi All.
I wish I had found this site a few weeks ago, but I have picked up some good info just browsing around.

I bought a new 7100 a few weeks ago. I couldn't get much help with the installation, but my wife and I managed to get the unit up into the house and in place. (good to be married to an engineer).

Everything seems to have fit together pretty well, but I am balking at the wiring. I'm definitely NOT an electrical guy, and the wiring instructions (page 38, Fig. 6.4) aren't crystal clear. Specifically I'm unclear on the ground wires. I have the 14-2 and 14-3 wires as called for. When I match the colors on the fireplace end, there is still a ground wire dangling out here. I reached around inside the unit but don't feel any stray wires in there. Electricity is all voodoo to me, but it is going to take time for either of the electricians I called to make the 30 mile drive out from town. Any help would be appreciated, and from the posts here it sounds like this is pretty basic stuff to most of you.

Thanks.

You need to ground the stove box with the ground wire, look to see if one of the screws that screw into the stove has the ground symbol or if one is anodized green, if not just twist and crimp a loop on the wire and attach it under one of screws by the strain relief and you will be fine.

All of the ground wires need to be tied together all the way back to the main service panel to make sure the unit is grounded and you are protected from being shocked.

Thanks Matt. None of the screws in that area have any markings, but it's easy enough to hook on to one of them. I was leaning toward hooking all of the grounds together back to the source, but being unfamiliar with electric schematics I wasn't sure. I appreciate the input.

did you get it figured out?

Yes, thanks for checking up. The fan works fine, even though it doesn't blow a great deal of air. From reading other posts, I guess that's typical. I'm a long ways from finished, but all it takes from here is time and money. At least I can make some heat.

Thanks again for following up. I'm still reading threads and picking up some good info.

I know this is an old post but I would liike to ask the same question - not sure if I understand...I bought the Quadrafire 7100 also... I am not familiar with electric, my electrician is not familiar with this unit and I think he may be over thinking the hook-up... Once we match the 3 wires and make the connection, do they stay in that area behind the first access panel? My electrician thinks that would be odd to have to wires in the blower compartment. Or do you undo the inner panel that the 3 wires come through and tuck the connection in that compartment? Not sure if I am explaining that properly, any help/advice would be appreciated.
Instructions:
1) Remove junction box cover plate on the bottom right side of the fireplace.
2) Thread the 14-3 with ground wire through the opening with the strain relief on the cover plate.
3) Match colors to wire harness, (red to red, white to white, etc.) and secure with wire nuts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.