Quadrafire 7100fp or Heatnglow Northstar ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The North Star will handle up to a 24" log. That''ll only fit in the front part of the box east-west format though.
However, I did most my splitting at about 20" and about a 1/4 of it at 12" or so.
The best burn times I've been able to get is loading three layers, bottom layer east-west long logs, 3 short logs in the middle layer north-south, then one or 2 more long ones on top for east-west. Doing this with seasoned wood gets me about 6-8 hours of real useful heat, enought to heat my 2400sqft place for that time before the temp i nhere starts to fall off.

Well guys I measured the firebox on the Northstar and Quad 7100 at the fire shop. The Northstar is listed at 2.7 cu ft and I measured 2.6 cu ft. The Quad is listed at 3.4 cu ft and I measured 3.1 cu ft.

No problem, I hope it helps!

So, uh, where's this fireplace shop your dealing with?
I visited AT LEAST 8 different shops (I lost count, I think it was more) spread from Mid-Michigan, SE Michigan and Northern Ohio and Mid-Ohio, and not one of them had either in one of these units in stock, let alone both. I called several more. In fact the first couple places I went where I asked, they literally laughed, like it was unheard of that a customer be able to actually see the thing their buying. I mean I understand you can't stock everything, that costs a lot of money, but I couldn't find one place that had one. Most of the shops I went to had 1-4 units on display, of which usually they were stoves. The fireplaces, well, nobody had anything but gas fireplaces on the showroom, if they had a showroom that was. Umm..well the BIS dealer had 2 fireplaces in the showroom, so I should give them credit. But they wanted over list for 'em, and they wouldn't sell them to the 'public' without installation, of which they wanted 5k plus the unit to do. Sorry..that wasn't happening.
And the prices of this place seem very good as well. You should promote them!

73blazer said:
No problem, I hope it helps!

So, uh, where's this fireplace shop your dealing with?
I visited AT LEAST 8 different shops (I lost count, I think it was more) spread from Mid-Michigan, SE Michigan and Northern Ohio and Mid-Ohio, and not one of them had either in one of these units in stock, let alone both.

You never called us I guess. We have both units side by side in the showroom on display and ready to burn.

We don't "stock" any for sales but can usually get them within a week unless there is a huge demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.