Quadrafire castile - Exhaust (combustion) fan comes on when stove is not in use.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thz123

Jan 8, 2009
IOWA
Last night, I walked past my pellet stove and heard my exhaust fan running, I unpluged the unit to stop the fan. I had the thermostat switched to off at the time. I just cleaned the chimney 2 weeks ago. I have only burned 1 bag of pellets since.

Another poster just recently had a similar problem and after a LOT of inspecting found out that he was stepping on the thermostat wires under the carpet at the doorway and shorting the two wires together. A momentary shorting will start the fan as it mistakenly calls for heat for a second. Something to think about.

Thanks for the responce. If that were the case, wouldn't it drop pellets and start up?

A short power outage would cause that to happen, it would then run for 10 minutes.

I have a QF Castile free-standing and if I unplug it for just a split-second (simulating a power outage) the combustion fan will run for 18 minutes - this is 100% normal. If the control panel receives one of two signals, one from the thermostat (even on and immediately off) or loses its 110v power for that split second or more, it will run the combustion motor for 18 minutes.

That makes sense, thanks everyone. Since I moved to the country a year ago, we do from time to time have the power go out.

Stepping on the t'stat wiring would also cause an intermittent short that would start the fan but not stay on long enough to drop pellets. Dropping power could also do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.