Quadrafire Castile fire height before and after filling with pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
This maybe premature (when has that ever stopped me), but a few times now it seems that the fire height is much better, after filling up the hopper.
I'll try to pay a lot of attention the next few times I refill my Castile while it's running.

I do remember in the past reading that other pellet stoves have a type of gasket under the hopper cover, while my Castile does not.

I was thinking that the air flow from the combustion blower might be pulling some air under the hopper cover then down the drop chute and bypassing burn pot, but when I fill the hopper it restricts the airflow more, and that air now flows upward through the burn pot resulting in a higher flame.

While I wait to refill a few times have other Castile owners seen this or is it all in my head for now?

no i have never noticed, but it could just be a better bag of pellets. i think bag to bag can be different even with the same ton and brand.

There can be some truth to that. Because there is no Hopper Gasket on a Quad, the stove does lose vacuum through the auger (chute).

So the higher the hopper level, the more restrictive that air path is
Which means less air getting into auger and more air through the pot.

Older Quads and even other stoves without hopper gaskets have trouble running with a low hopper. And some stoves have gone as far as putting it in the manual, to keep hopper above a certain level.

So you may be seeing that result. Or it could be a stroke of luck??? ;-P. But in theory it sounds good. (For the record, I try and keep my Quad full (80 lbs))

Status
Not open for further replies.