quadrafire castile whistles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mghocko

Sep 9, 2009
I am a new owner of a quadrafire castile... my question is it normal for it to whistle when on, it does it when on low and sometimes on medium... its not tertibly loud but its noticable... If anyone else has had this problem or knows what it might be their help would be greatly appreciated..

Mine whistles on start-up. I think it is the airflow through the burn pot holes. The higher airflow makes the whistle. When the stove goes into normal operation, the whistle goes away. If you can't get anymore help here, check on iburncorn.com in the quadra-fire section. Kap should be able to help you.

Former Farmer said:
Mine whistles on start-up. I think it is the airflow through the burn pot holes. The higher airflow makes the whistle. When the stove goes into normal operation, the whistle goes away. If you can't get anymore help here, check on iburncorn.com in the quadra-fire section. Kap should be able to help you.

Ditto, My quad would whistle too! Seemed to be the worst right after a good cleaning(scrapping the pot and chasing out the holes). Not really an issue but it was annoying.

Jay

Yup, the whistle is normal for the Castile. When the stove first starts up you'll notice that the combustion blower (feeding air to the burn pot) is on high, then after a few minutes the speed drops to its normal rpm's. Especially during the first few minutes you may hear the whistle, and less after but usually that sound will go away after a day or two once there is a build up of ash inside the burn pot which changes the 'air flow' enough to reduce it to nothing.

I know that others have actually experimented with 'chamfering' the holes inside the burn pot to see if that helped any, but I don't think it made any difference. It is a noise that you will get used to and before you realize it, you don't even remember hearing it. To me it's a welcome sound when it's really cold outside!

Enjoy your Castile! I know we love it!

Steve

thanks for the speedy response... didn't think it was a problem but just wanted to be sure...thanks again

One thing to check, make sure the firepot floor is fully shut. Also check the holes in the burn pot. I have read cleaning them out really good can help. Even new, they might have some burrs in them.

Mine whistles also during startup. Like others said, it will disappear and you will notice it less the longer you own and get used to it. I compare it to cuckoo clocks - people who are new to the house are the first to notice them between the tick toc sound of the movement and the chiming at the hour and half hour. After a while, they forget they even hear the clock, kind of like "white noise" or background noise.

Mine whistles dixie as well.......but no where near what it was when it was new. This is my third season with it.

I have a Quadrafire, wood burning stove and everything always vibrates: the side panels, the two air rods, the top panel and even sometimes the thermostat vibrates. Does anyone have any suggesstions how I can stop these? I have been putting piece of silverware in various places only to have it last for a while. Thanks for any suggestions, Kenrun

kenrun, start a new thread in the wood burning section of the forum (you are in the pellet section here). Also state your model and what year you got it, and if you have a blower.

jtp10181 said:
kenrun, start a new thread in the wood burning section of the forum (you are in the pellet section here)......

Yep, he did. It was a Quad 5100

Our quad also whistles at startup and sometimes while running normal air rushing through holes in the burn pot. I clean the holes each time I clean the stove. I use a 38 mm bore brush . Enjoy your stove

Status
Not open for further replies.