Quadrafire Castille startup problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George0211

Oct 8, 2008
South Jersey
Hello,

I have a Quadrafire Castille pellet insert, I had it installed in April and I'm having issues at startup. I'm getting a lot of failed ignitions for some strange reason. I clean the stove out completely every day, my friend who has a stand-alone castille says it's a waste of time to do it every single day, but I say better safe than sorry. Of course, he cleans his once a week and it works perfectly and mine doesn't. Anyway, pretty much every other startup fails. The stove drops pellets into the firepot, I can see the ignitor turn on, as it gets red hot. Here is the list of things that happen after that.
1. Sometimes, nothing at all happens, ignitor stays on for however long it stays on, a few minutes, pellets don't ignite and pellet stove ends up just sitting there with the red call light on.
2. Sometimes, a few pellets in the firepot ignite produce a few sparks and eventually burn off. The pellet stove ends up sitting there again, with the call light on.
3. Other times, pellets ignite after producing a lot of smoke, start burning like normal, pellet stove will drop a few more pellets into the firepot but after a few minutes they all burn off and same thing happens as mentioned above; it'll just sit there with the call light on.

All of these situations also produce a lot of very dark brown soot on the glass. When the stove burns normally, when I can get it to run that is, after a few hours, I can see very thing layer of white residue on the glass.
I'm really at a loss here. I called the dealer and they asked me a ton of questions on cleaning and then said they'll call me back, so I'm waiting on that.

Another thing that probably needs mentioned is that I already had a problem similar to #3 in the list above. The dealer fixed it a few months ago. The way they explained me the problem was is that they needed to run some kind of a grounding wire inside, because it's needed by the new control units from quadrafire. Interestingly enough, he didn't replace the actual control unit.

By the way, I use premium hardwood pellets, from the dealer that installed the stove. The reason I don't think it's the pellet issue is because my friend has the same exact stove, only stand-alone version and uses the same pellets and has no issues whatsoever. Also, we even tried swapping a bag of pellets, just to make sure; again, my pellets worked fine in his stove, his pellets had the same issue in my stove.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

try opening the feed shutter a little more to give more pellets at start up

I sent you a PM.

Steve

Hey there everyone! New here, but have been watcthing the posts for some time now.

I have a Quadra Fire pellet stove as well. I have had it for 5 years, and what you are going through, I have as well in the past. Here are a few things I have found, that need to be checked and corrected.

1. Burn Pot: Pulling the lever to clean out pot is NOT enough. There are a lot of blower holes located within the pot. Take an angled pick every day or two and insert it into all the holes within the pot. Even though you pull the lever to empty the pot, a lot of times I have found that there will be a lot of ash and soft clinkers remaining in there. Again, use the angled pick to knock these off the pot, and then again pull handle to empty the pot.

2. Pellet Feed Rate - VERY IMPORTANT! : -> The Castille model is very sensitive to the feed rate of the pellets. Lower the pellet feed rate!! I used to leave it at wide open, but it is too much. Decrease the feed rate by a quarter percent. Here is what I have found...

When you shut your stove down or the thermostat tells the stove to stop feeding pellets, the high feed rate has left so many pellets in the pot that it cannot fully combust the remaining pellets. When the auger stops feeding pellets for whatever reason, the combustion blower will continue to cycle for another 10-15 minutes. If you have too many pellets in the pot, the reamining pellets will smolder and possibly send smoke back into yor house. Also, it will leave a lot of deposits in the pot prior to your next burn cycle.

So the next day, your unit drops a lot of pellets and the igniter cannot fully ignite the pellets because it is literally smothered in an abudence of pellets, and the accumulation of carbon and ash caused from the previous day.

Decreasing the pellet feed will allow those pellets left remaining in the pot to fully burn at shut down, and will decrease a lot of the buildup problems.

You will not notice any difference in the heat output of the unit.

Bucktail said:
Hey there everyone! New here, but have been watcthing the posts for some time now.

I have a Quadra Fire pellet stove as well. I have had it for 5 years, and what you are going through, I have as well in the past. Here are a few things I have found, that need to be checked and corrected.

1. Burn Pot: Pulling the lever to clean out pot is NOT enough. There are a lot of blower holes located within the pot. Take an angled pick every day or two and insert it into all the holes within the pot. Even though you pull the lever to empty pot, a lot of times I have found that there will be a lot of ash and soft clinkers remaining in there. Again, use the angled pick to knock these off the pot, and then again pull handle to empty the pot.

2. Pellet Feed Rate - VERY IMPORTANT! : -> The Castille model is very sensitive to the feed rate of the pellets. Lower the pellet feed rate!! I used to leave it at wide open, but it is too much. Decrease the feed rate by a quarter percent. Here is what I have found...

When you shut your stove down or the thermostat tells the stove to stop feeding pellets, the high feed rate has left so many pellets in the pot that it cannot fully combust the remaining pellets. When the auger stops feeding pellets for whatever reason, the combustion blower will continue to cycle for another 10-15 minutes. If you have too many pellets in the pot, they will smolder and possibly send smoke back into yor house. Also, it leave a lot of deposits in the pot prior to your next burn cycle.

So the next day, your unit drops a lot of pellets and the igniter cannot fully ignite the pellets because it is smothered in an abudence of pellets, and the accumulation of carbon and ash caused from the previous day.

Decreasing the pellet feed will allow those pellets left remaining in the pot to fully burn at shut down and will decrease a lot of the buildup problems.

You will not notice any difference in the heat output of the unit.

Bucktail,

I actually clean out the pellet stove completely every day, and yes I do clean out those holes in the pot including the opening on the bottom for the ignitor, as well as vacuum out the ashes.
As far as feed rate goes, I actually used to have it on the low setting and was having the same problem anyway. I increased the feed rate little by little, until I got to the max. I was originally thinking that maybe it wasn't igniting because it didn't have enough pellets to start with. At this point I have it set to about midway.

Bucktail said:
OK. Have you changed your pellet type lately?

No sir, have been using the same pellets since I got the stove installed. I did use 2 bags of Lowes pellets a few months ago, but I found them too dusty and too ashy, but again, only 2 bags.

Hmmm... It seems that you are covering your bases pretty good. I am just trying to throw at you all the tricks I have learned over the years.

I would try spraying some of this cleaner into the pot and letting it sit for an hour or so. http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-8053 You might have some crystalline buildup going on. Make sure you get some down where the igniter hole is as well. I use this stuff when the handle gets hard to pull and it makes it feel like new again. The crystalline deposits are like glass, and my thoughts are that it might be building up near the igniter area.

Bucktail said:
Hmmm... It seems that you are covering your bases pretty good. I am just trying to throw at you all the tricks I have learned over the years.

I would try spraying some of this cleaner into the pot and letting it sit for an hour or so. http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-8053 You might have some crystalline buildup going on. Make sure you get some down where the igniter hole is as well. I use this stuff when the handle gets hard to pull and it makes it feel like new again. The crystalline deposits are like glass, and my thoughts are that it might be building up near the igniter area.

Does this stuff really work and is it safe? I just use the scraper to scrape off the clinkers from the pot.

Yes it works real good, and yes it is safe. I thought the same thing, and my pellet stove dealer told me that it designed for pellet stove use. I went down to the pellet stove dealer, and picked up a bottle of it. I sprayed it only in the pot, then closed the glass door for about an hour. I came back, and the pot was almost dried. I wiped the pot out with a paper towel to get the remaing residue out of there, then fired up the pellet stove. It definetly dissolved whatever crystalline deposits were in there. The pull handle operated smooth as silk.

It is non-flamable and biodegradable.

Bucktail said:
Yes it works real good, and yes it is safe. I thought the same thing, and my pellet stove dealer told me that it designed for pellet stove use. I went down to the pellet stove dealer, and picked up a bottle of it. I sprayed it only in the pot, closed the glass door for about an hour. I cam back and the pot was almost dried. It wiped the pot out with a paper towel get the remaing residue out of there, then fired up the pellet stove. It definetly dissolved whatever crystalline deposits were in there. The pull handle operated smooth as silk.

It is non-flamable and biodegradable.

Cool, I'm going to try it.

Thanks

Good Luck. That is all about all I can offer in suggestions at this time.
Please keep us posted on your progress. Since I have this model as well, I try to learn all I can about it.

Regards,

Bucktail

Status
Not open for further replies.