1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Quadrafire CB 1200 Fire

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Joel Craft, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Joel Craft

Joel Craft Member

Loc:
    Nome, Alaska
    I just got my pellets in and started my stove up for the first time. I was wondering if it is normal for it to look like their is a bunch of fire flies inside while it is burning? Just checking to see if that is normal for burning wood pellets. And when it dumps pellets into the pot it cuts the fire down is that normal as well? Thanks Jay

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DBCOOPER

DBCOOPER Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    Yes and yes...
  3. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Yes but can you post a pic? We like to see pics. :)

Attached Files:

4. Joel Craft

Joel Craft Member

Loc:
    Nome, Alaska
    Here is a pic of the fire the flame is down due to pellets dropping in. Was just wondering if those embers flying all over is normal for this stove. Or do I need to adjust something to cut it down.

IMG_1285.JPG
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Thanks for the pic. It is normal to have some sparks flying, but if you have partially unburned pellets landing in the ash pan (Called the Popcorn Effect) then you need to cut down on the intake air with a damper. If there is no damper built into the stove, then you can add a damper onto the air intake on the back of the stove.

What heat setting do you have it on?
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Looks fine to me.
  7. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Looks like it's doing what it is supposed to. That is all just fly ash leaving the burn pot as new pellets drop in to it.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks fine to me too, some pellets spark more than others. The fire looks a little on the low side if the stove is on high. What setting is this?
  9. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Those are just the fines burning and getting blown out of the pot. It means you have good draft and all your holes are open in the burn pot. When you DON'T see them, then it's time to start checking for clogged holes (8 little ones) or restricted exhaust.
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Right, looks fines to me, lol.
  11. Joel Craft

Joel Craft Member

Loc:
    Nome, Alaska
    I had it on high setting to adjust the flame and it looked like it was about 6 inches high when I adjusted the feed rate. Then I turned it to low heat setting and let it run for 15 min. to see what it looked like. half the time it had flame 4-6 inches and other half it had flame barely above the fire pot. What are your thoughts on that should it have more consistant flame than that?
  12. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds pretty normal.
  13. Joel Craft

Joel Craft Member

Loc:
    Nome, Alaska
    so I don't have to worry about one of those going up into the place where pellets fall out and catching my house on fire? Thanks for all your advice. Jay
  14. smoke show

smoke show Guest

The firebox is negative pressure with only one exit. ;)
  15. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Normal, they are called fireflies, and the ones that burn a while after landing are called cigarettes.
  16. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    I got you beat lol, yes it's normal.

[​IMG]
  17. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    That's pretty normal with the fire going up and down as each load is dropped. Sounds like you did a good job of getting it adjusted on HIGH. Someone actually read the instructions!!!!
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yep... Sounds like the manual was read :)

Yes and Yes as to the fluctuations in flame height and also sparks.. Its a Quad. Nothing Burns like a Quad ;)

Its a model of stove that gets slightly more air than other stoves to eject the ash from the pot. Helping to keep it good and clean with very little interjecting.

Looks good... And slls has one of the best "Sparks" shots I have seen.... The only time I can get a BIG Show like that, is right at shutdown. Pellets dropping gives a nice show. But when its just stops dropping pellets and you give the clean out handle a little jiggle (dont open it! Just jiggle it :)) The last of the embers get thrown into the air stream :) Love it.

Quads have an Awesome Fire Show! But lack some features that other stoves have (High/Low, More heat settings, Air trim and or Damper).

Don2222- Because Quads have a wide open OAK system, even if you added a damper, it will do next to nothing. It will pull air from MANY other areas. I have tried to seal mine as best as I can. But it takes a lot. The whole bottom of the stove is an intake..... The intake hole goes into the bottom pad. Then there is a slot/channel that goes up the middle of the stove, to a slot in the back of the ignitor area, then through the burn pot holes... Many leaks, holes, and gaps along the way....