Quadrafire CB 1200 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I just purchased a camp with a quadrafire cb 1200 pellet stove. I haven't had a chance to run the stove yet but I have few questions about it. I am not a stranger to pellet stoves, in fact after the horror show my Thelin stove put me through, I swore I'd never own another one. My favorite pellets are bought in cords, not tons and only burn six or seven per night.
Anyway: ?#1 Can the quadrafire tstat connection be jumped so the stove runs all the time and simply use the feed and fan speed to control the heat? The Thelin would eat ignitors from the starting and stopping every time the tstat cycled.
?#2 can a programmable tstat be installed so I can have the stove start on Friday mornings and arrive to a warm camp Friday afternoon?
( I know 1 and 2 could not be simultaneous)
?#3 any advice from anyone who runs one of these is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: mjlav3
Your Thelin was a very different beast ... beautiful stoves but lots of headaches!

From the manual: "A 12 volt AC thermostat is required to operate this pellet appliance. You may use the included wall mount thermostat or purchase an optional programmable thermostat or remote control. It is equipped with an adjustable heat anticipator. The current rating is .05 amps. The anticipator needs to be adjusted to the lowest setting available."
2008 Manual http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7014_082.pdf

kappel15 is a very good source since he is a service tech

Thank you for that manual link. The previous owner couldnt find paperwork for this stove. A guy I work with has a Harmon (p68 maybe?) and I think his stove just goes to a low flame when heat is not called for, then ramps up when it needs to.

Last edited:
you can jump the two screws the tstat wires hook to, to run continuous, but I wouldn't do it. I would put the prog. stat on it if you want. this stove won't eat igniters. and I would recommend you throw a handful of pellets in pot prior to leaving, to make sure it starts, so you have a warm place to come back to, as you can get a misfire on a cold stove. and I would highly recommend you download a manual, and learn about your stove. kap

Once you get a programmable thermostat, let us know how that works out for you ... I know the Nest ones you can check from your cell phone but I'm sure there are other similar versions on the market.

I have been looking into the Nest Thermostats, but for now there will not be internet at the camp so that's a no go. From what I'm reading this is a far better stove than the Thelin was. I was just concerned that a lot of starting and stopping would 1, fill the burn pot with dead ash and prevent ignition, and 2, wear out the ignitor. But, if that is how it is designed, it must be fine to run it that way. I know the thelin on the tstat would only reignite a few times before the ash covered the ignitor and it was a no go until I cleaned the pot.

I have printed off that manual too, Thanks again for that.

Reactions: Lake Girl
you can usually go a day,(8 hours) before you should clean the pot to prevent a misfire.

That is longer than my previous pellet stove. Two or three cycles and it was not able to reignite itself. That stove came with a jumper for the thermostat connection and it could be controlled by fan speed and feed rate.
Im really looking forward to trying this baby out

just be sure to read the manual thru. it will be your best friend in learning the stove. stay warm. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.