Quadrafire Ceremic Blanket - Substitutions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
The ceramic blanket on my 5100i is kinda ratty, my local dealer is charging about $30 for a new one. I've got extra 1" think kaowool as well as this semi-rigid mineral wool that's good to 1200 degrees from McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#mineral-wool-sheets/=9ew4xw

It's at the bottom of the page and is the stuff without the wire mesh. Will either of these be a suitable replacement for the 5100i blanket?

The main purpose of the ceramic blanket is to seal the leaks around the perimeter of the baffle board, so you might want to factor that in to your replacement decision. You can probably get away for a while with just rearranging the pieces so they cover the perimeter.

Also, I don't think you want to use a rigid material. Kaowool is a good material but that 1" thickness will significantly reduce the volume of the secondary chamber. Pick up some 1/4" and then you'll have a supply for this and any future purposes.

$30 isn't jack when you consider the coin you saved burning wood. My advice is to always go 1st class with anything stove or tools related to wood burning. For one thing we're all playing with fire...I forgot what the other thing was but it did matter, you'll see it mentioned here time to time. Just watch.

savage, your comment would make sense in this case if there was a qualitative difference between what the dealer offers and what he could buy elsewhere. He can get a 24in x 25ft 8# density 1/4" thick roll of Kaowool on eBay for $33, cut a new blanket off, and have 31ft or more left for the next time he needs it. It's very handy stuff for a stove owner to have on hand. There's nothing "1st class" about spending money foolishly.

Status
Not open for further replies.