Quadrafire Classic Bay- need to hit reset to get going

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tammid65

Sep 20, 2009
Central Connecticut
I have a new Quadrafire-Classic Bay running on a thermostat. I am getting the red light and pellets are dropping but I almost always have to hit the reset button to get the stove going. Once I hit the reset, the stove will light and run as usual. It is getting too cold for the auto start not to be working. HELP!! What could this be? I have tried adjusting the feed control, I have cleaned ash pan and the fire pot. Not sure what could be the problem.

I have a new Quadrafire-Classic Bay running on a thermostat. I am getting the red light and pellets are dropping but I almost always have to hit the reset button to get the stove going. Once I hit the reset, the stove will light and run as usual. It is getting too cold for the auto start not to be working. HELP!! What could this be? I have tried adjusting the feed control, I have cleaned ash pan and the fire pot. Not sure what could be the problem.
This is my first time responding on this site, but I have been working on these stoves for years. On a new stove, it sounds like the thermocouple is not far enough over the firepot or your initial feed rate is low. Make sure the thermocouple is all the way into the white cover and pull the feed rate adjuster up a bit. I'm sure others will be along shortly with some more good tips.

Thanks for your input...I say "new" but we ran it last year for a couple of months...Is the thermocouple the white sensor that hangs over the fire pot?

That is the ceramic cover that protects the thermocouple the thermocouple tip has to touch that cover at its inside edge at the end of the cover.

That entire assembly has to be over the edge of the burn pot.

You might also want to check the holes (slots) in front of the igniter and make certain they are clear.

Make sure the ceramic cover sticks out into pot and that the thermocouple also touches the end (inside ceramic).

Another issue may be fuel. What setting are you running the stove on? (Low, Med?) Where is the Fuel gate set? If it is set to Low, the stove will not receive enough pellets to start/ignite. Is the gate set for the pellets your burning? (4"-6" above pot when burning on High?).

Debbye and I were having problems with misfires and false starts to the point I was getting disappointed in the reliability{gonna wake up to a cold house,etc.} ...We have a Quad in sheeps clothing and we are newbies but I finally decided to check the thermocouple so I removed the ceramic cover{cold stove of course} and tapped it into my palm and a little bit of ash came out////I reseated the ceramic cover and also needed to tighten the front door a bit,and we have not had a misfire since ! Starts on low with t-stat just like its supposed to....I am sleeping better...lol And a great feeling to not have to call Eric@kinsmanstoves every time there is an issue......So check that thermocouple cover and do the dollar bill test on the door.....Our 2 cents ! Keep us informed !

And if it is new, it is under warranty ..

And if it is new, it is under warranty ..

Warranty doesn't cover operator error.

As for cleaning. The Freestanding 1200 has a Super Large ash trap in the back. I clean mine about every ton
It only needs done once a season and dont have much at all.

The D's made a good point above. Check the door and ash pan gaskets also. They may need tightened (lots of room for adjustment on the Classic Bay).

Still thinking its fuel related (Gate). I run WOT, so mine starts Every time (Lots of times already this year) :) But I also dont run the Higher settings. Low and slow baby. Low and Slow ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.