QuadraFire classic bay -> santa fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skel

Jan 16, 2015
Suffolk, NY
so, i finally got my second stove installed on 2/16 (the santa fe) and have a few questions.

1 - can a Nest learning thermo be hooked up to this (easily)? if not then i'll get the same electronic thermo i have on my CB.
2- every time the stove starts up i notice smoke coming out of the vent where the pushes the hot air from. Any idea what this is and more importantly if this is safe?
3 - made the mistake of touching the cleaning rod for the burner pot while its on - OUCH!. what's the best thing to put on this to add a "knob" so i wont blister my fingers?

as far as the classic bay goes wow it's amazing i wish i got a second one in place of the SF to heat the house more efficiently. Wife however likes the two different looks/styles. The rod on this stove (CB) seems to "stick" when i try and pull/push it to clean the pot...what gives?

-side note-

i get a headache when i turn my santa fe on (smaller room), any idea why that might be?

so, i finally got my second stove installed on 2/16 (the santa fe) and have a few questions.

1 - can a Nest learning thermo be hooked up to this (easily)? if not then i'll get the same electronic thermo i have on my CB.
2- every time the stove starts up i notice smoke coming out of the vent where the pushes the hot air from. Any idea what this is and more importantly if this is safe?
3 - made the mistake of touching the cleaning rod for the burner pot while its on - OUCH!. what's the best thing to put on this to add a "knob" so i wont blister my fingers?

as far as the classic bay goes wow it's amazing i wish i got a second one in place of the SF to heat the house more efficiently. Wife however likes the two different looks/styles. The rod on this stove (CB) seems to "stick" when i try and pull/push it to clean the pot...what gives?

-side note-

i get a headache when i turn my santa fe on (smaller room), any idea why that might be?

I believe you would have to hookup an external power supply to that thermostat to use with a pellet stove. I always smell a little smoke when my Santa Fe starts up that goes away after the pellets ignite. If I remember correctly, you're not supposed to use the cleaning rods while the stove is operating. Might want to make sure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector in the room. Also, you're supposed to run the cold air intake from the outside of the house.

oh i know i shouldnt run the rod while the stove is heating(which i dont do). Just wonder because compared to the CB it's juts not built nearly as well though it was only about 300 bucks less. I can live with the smell, but is the smoke normal? The co detector doesnt go off, but still i have my baby in the room, so i'd rather be super safe.

On the cb thers is a little cover with two screws right above the ash pan, remove it and you will see the dump gate, you can loosen it ever so little to make it easier to open.

I don't think you should ever smell smoke or see smoke outside of the stove. The ony smoke seen should be inside right before it lights.

that's what i thought as far as smoke goes..glad to know im not crazy.

will try that on the CB

Before adjustng the dump gate, just make sure that it is not just a dirty fire pot making it hard to open..then you only need to loosen it a very small amount. Make sure it closes all the way when done.

could the pot be dirty to the point where it doesnt open well?

skelNew Member
Loc:
Suffolk, NY
New

Yes, and it can get rusty if the exhaust is too close to the ground. I spray mine with WD40 periodically.

hmm rusty in a month? guess anything is possible. i'll have to take a look this weekend.

Look in the bottom of the pot with a flashlight, I suspect that the bottom has a carbon build up on the door, We use a putty knife to scrape our about once a week as it seems to build up and make it difficult to dump ashes, depends on the pellets we use some are worse than others.

If this is a new stove, is it burning off the new stove residue? You should be able to tell the difference between new stove smell burn, and pellet smoke. If it is pellet smoke, time to call the store and have them check it out if they installed it. Shouldn't have any smoke if installed right. And as others have said, after a while the pot floor will get a buildup of carbon on it that makes it hard to open. Don't force it or you can damage things. And if you loosen the pot floor, make sure there is no more then a dimes width opening at the back between the pot floor and the pot. Stay in touch. kap

store is coming on sat to see how the install went...ill have them take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.