Quadrafire Contour goes out after 2 hrs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckquadrafire

Feb 12, 2015
Concord, MA
Have Quadrafire Contour (10 yrs old) that goes out after 2 hours. Also takes 4 resets to start. Fire irregular - up and down. Any advice on fix? Terribly cold in Boston area - appreciate help!

In hopper feed rate slide opened up? Seems I have tried to get this thread up several times from moderation today!?
Welcome

In hopper feed rate slide opened up? Seems I have tried to get this thread up several times from moderation today!?
Welcome

I agree, sounds like your feed rate is too slow. If you can adjust it, open it up some. Another option is to buy another brand of pellets. I've seen a lot of different size pellets between brands.

I agree, sounds like your feed rate is too slow. If you can adjust it, open it up some. Another option is to buy another brand of pellets. I've seen a lot of different size pellets between brands.

Yes, have opened hopper feed rate. Haven't changed brand of pellets. Any other suggestions?

Since I've not seen you post before I'll ask the normal questions.

When was the last time the stove and vent system was completely taken apart and cleaned.

Is the venting cap plugged up with ash, if you have one.

Are the holes in the burn pot open if you have them.

When was the last time the gaskets were changed or checked?

If the stove is running off a thermostat check the connections to make sure they are ok and change the batteries depending on your thermo type.

Have you changed the brand of pellets you have been using and if so are there long pellets in the bags?

Just trying to throw some ideas to you.

Hopefully someone with your make, with more knowledge then myself, will be along to help you get your stove sorted out.

Can you tell if it is getting enough fuel or not? Have you checked up the drop chute with a flashlight and mirror for any obstruction or bridging? Have you checked the firepot thermocouple to make sure it is good and is also touching the inside end of the cover? And can you tell if the auger is going backwards sometimes when running? Normally it will turn clockwise looking down from the motor end. If it is reversing, the capacitor is bad. You can purchase a capacitor jumper part # 230-2150. kap

Since I've not seen you post before I'll ask the normal questions.

When was the last time the stove and vent system was completely taken apart and cleaned.

Is the venting cap plugged up with ash, if you have one.

Are the holes in the burn pot open if you have them.

When was the last time the gaskets were changed or checked?

If the stove is running off a thermostat check the connections to make sure they are ok and change the batteries depending on your thermo type.

Have you changed the brand of pellets you have been using and if so are there long pellets in the bags?

Just trying to throw some ideas to you.

Hopefully someone with your make, with more knowledge then myself, will be along to help you get your stove sorted out.

Thank you so much for all of this info - I'll go home and check. Worst winter in Boston for having stove problems

Can you tell if it is getting enough fuel or not? Have you checked up the drop chute with a flashlight and mirror for any obstruction or bridging? Have you checked the firepot thermocouple to make sure it is good and is also touching the inside end of the cover? And can you tell if the auger is going backwards sometimes when running? Normally it will turn clockwise looking down from the motor end. If it is reversing, the capacitor is bad. You can purchase a capacitor jumper part # 230-2150. kap

Great idea. The auger does seem like it's straining at times so maybe it is in reverse (I'll check tonite). How do I find the capacitor in the stove?

If your stove is a contour, it should be older then 10 years, but not by much. The capacitor on older models is in the junction box. In newer models, roughly 2005 or a tad earlier, it is in line on the auger motor wire harness. You can pull the auger assy. and test it.Just jump vac switch wires together, making sure they can't ground out on anything. Leave auger assy wired to stove, when you pull it out, and turn thermostat up. Auger will start turning.And then also make sure the set screw is holding auger firmly to shaft and not slipping. Remember you only have 60 seconds as this is how long the initial feed lasts, You will have to hit reset button if you need more time. Make sure to unplug stove first, before jumping wires together to avoid any shocks or shorts.. kap

If your stove is a contour, it should be older then 10 years, but not by much. The capacitor on older models is in the junction box. In newer models, roughly 2005 or a tad earlier, it is in line on the auger motor wire harness. You can pull the auger assy. and test it.Just jump vac switch wires together, making sure they can't ground out on anything. Leave auger assy wired to stove, when you pull it out, and turn thermostat up. Auger will start turning.And then also make sure the set screw is holding auger firmly to shaft and not slipping. Remember you only have 60 seconds as this is how long the initial feed lasts, You will have to hit reset button if you need more time. Make sure to unplug stove first, before jumping wires together to avoid any shocks or shorts.. kap

Yikes - think too difficult for me to attempt. Haven't had much luck finding repair person by Boston to hire (everyone's booked for weeks). Know anyone?

Some of this you can do, some not maybe. You can feel the auger behind motor to see which way it is turning. you can also look up drop chute with mirror and flashlight for bridging or obstructions.If you watch the stove and can see more of what is going on, we might be able to help you more. There could be other issues causing this also. Have you tried going on Quad website and using dealer locator, to find a repair person? kap

Status
Not open for further replies.