Quadrafire Contour won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Willis

Nov 18, 2013
Towson, MD
Good morning all,

I inherited an older Quadrafire Contour with the house I purchased a few years back. Up until this year it ran fine. Coming into winter I gave it a good cleaning and started it for the first time a few nights ago.

Fired it up and I can only get it started and running in the High setting (versus Low or Medium). It seems to be heating/starting fine in High. It won't completely light and start burning if I set it on Medium or Low. In Medium or Low, pellets drop, fan turns on, and I get a few sparks/embers, but that's it. Eventually it turns itself off. I have the pellet feed 'slide' open as much as it will go. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot/fix? Could it be auger/motor? Prior to every winter season I also empty all pellets and vacuum out pellet chute (where the auger is) as best I can with a dry vac.

Thanks,

Jason

Still sounds like an auger obstruction. Try get a coat hanger up the tube-auger. Someone else had the same issue a couple weeks ago. Quads seem to get a small lump etc in the first firings.

Have you the manual or downloaded one? The stove is pretty simple. If the motor were a problem it probably would be on all settings. Others currently with a Quad hopefully can chime in and fine tune the advise.

Yeah fortunately the old homeowner was a pack rat and gave me the manual. I could only assume that if it wasn't an obstruction, it might be a motor or internal thermostat issue, but that was about it. Everything else seems in order. Thanks again...

Yeah fortunately the old homeowner was a pack rat and gave me the manual. I could only assume that if it wasn't an obstruction, it might be a motor or internal thermostat issue, but that was about it. Everything else seems in order. Thanks again...
Proof of fire is the probe over the pot. Snap switch for over fire(to much fire or failure of the room fan), another snap switch to turn on the room fan. Pretty simple.

Hello
I have a 2000 contour and I like it. If the white cap on the pof probe over the fire pot is loose that may be the problem. Otherwise I would pull the auger and buff it out.

Btw What do u keep warm in the warmer compartment?

I emptied the hopper and dry-vacced all the pellets out around the auger, then put a coat hanger as far up in there as I could. I didn't feel any blockages, but how long is the auger and its chute? It seemed like the pellet chute (containing the auger) was empty, but didn't take it fully apart to confirm. Turned the stove on while hopper was completely empty a couple times on and off to see if auger turned, and it seems to be running the right direction (clockwise, when viewed from above).

Tried starting on medium and no luck. Trying right now on high, and I hear internal fan running, pellets dropped, and so far, no spark/fire.

I haven't dove into the mechanics of the stove yet - is pulling the auger a big job? The visible base of the auger looks pretty clean.

I haven't kept anything warm in the warming compartment - any good suggestions? I assume a nice pie is the best option? haha

Thanks again for the advice!

Hit reset, got a ton of pellets dropping, now spark & flame starting. Room fan just kicked on and is blowing strong. Going to let it heat up, then switch to Medium to see if it'll stay on.

Last edited:
Ok - so I revisited the manual and realized that I was (stupidly) trying to start this thing on Medium when it says to start with High. Ran for 20 mins and High setting is good to go. Just switched to Medium and so far, so good. Will let it go for 20 minutes then try Low. Couple quick items I noticed though. My flames are barely visible out of the top of the firepot. Even at high (with pellet fuel adjustment rod as open as it'll go) the flames were barely clearing top of firepot. On medium I can't see any flames from across the room; just lots of spark/embers flying up out of the firepot. Heat output is still very strong so I guess I shouldn't complain. I also see that feed mechanism removes with just pulling 2 screws, so will probably do that tomorrow. If it matters, I'm using StoveChow.

Do you guys confidently run your pellet stove overnight while asleep?

A lot of members use as primary heating source.

Status
Not open for further replies.