Quadrafire Explorer III

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire1776

May 5, 2015
south east
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Quadrafire Explorer III. I was looking at the Explorer II and now see this stove. I have heard and read about issues with the damper on the 2's but other than that they seem like pretty good stoves. Our local dealer really wants to sell one and I want to keep away from a catalytic stove like the Lopi. Looking to heat as much of 4100 sqft in the southeast as possible, any other advice is appreciated!

It's just bigger.

It's a totally new stove so we can't say much about its construction or performance. Quad makes decent stoves. Like the Explorer II this one is a cast iron jacketed steel stove. That gives it closer clearances than the same size Quadrafire Isle Royale (worth considering too). Unlike the Explorer II this one is a top loader. It looks like it will be a competitor to the Jotul F50 Rangeley which has a very good track record. That stove would also be worth considering along with the Jotul F55 (front loader) and the Jotul F600

Heating a 4100 sq ft space anywhere north of Florida is likely a two stove or wood furnace job. The stove is an area heater. Put it where the family congregates the most.

Last edited:
The only non-cat stove I know of that could potentially handle 4100 sqft. would be the Hearthstone Equinox. It has a 4 cu ft firebox but also requires an 8" flue.
May I ask why you are so against a cat stove? You can get several larger stoves (BlazeKing King, Kuma Sequoia, Regency 5100) that would stand a chance of heating that much space but they all come with a catalyst.

The Isle Royale does not show up on Quadrafire's website anymore which suggests the Explorer 3 is taking its place. Since it is a recent switch you could potentially find a dealer that still has the IR.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Quadrafire Explorer III. I was looking at the Explorer II and now see this stove. I have heard and read about issues with the damper on the 2's but other than that they seem like pretty good stoves. Our local dealer really wants to sell one and I want to keep away from a catalytic stove like the Lopi. Looking to heat as much of 4100 sqft in the southeast as possible, any other advice is appreciated!

At around $425 for a replacement CAT on the Cape Cod, it is def a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.