Quadrafire explorer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good to hear that it's heating well Jeff. That's a good looking stove. How often were you reloading in cold weather?

PS: Could you add your stove make/model to your signature line? Thx.
That really depended on what type of wood I was using, how much I had the air open or closed, daytime/night, the fact that I sometimes add wood when it doesn't necessarily "need" it, etc. So many different variables and I didn't really pay close attention ...sorry I can't give a more definitive answer.

sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have an Explorer II being put in this weekend, for those of you with them, did you use the outside Air kit?

sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have an Explorer II being put in this weekend, for those of you with them, did you use the outside Air kit?
No. And it's been fine without it for our house.

Just put in an Explorer III a few weeks back. I personally wouldn't burn without an OAK. I have put it in a second home I built that is VERY air tight compared to our older primary home. Works great and I think it is much safer in my case.

Last edited:
Just put in an Explorer III a few weeks back. I personally wouldn't burn without an OAK. I have put it in a second home I built that is VERY air tight compared to our older primary home. Works great and I think it is much safer in my case.
my house is tight, but not crazy tight. The company I am using does not think it necessary, and have not installed many, they are a top tier Quad dealer and installer, so I can always add it if I need to.

Can you expand on why you think its safer?

Can you expand on why you think its safer?

The stove was placed in a second home that I built and am just finishing up soon. We (wife and I) plan on letting family/friends use the place in our absence. I would have liked to have placed a BK Ashford 30.1 in but realize that a stove with a CAT in it runs a bit differently then a Non-CAT. I understand that a CAT stove isn't "hard to learn" to use, but also realize that not using it correctly can cause premature failure to the cat itself. Knowing others "might" be using it, I decided to go with the Ashford as it is more "forgiving" in actual "miss-use" by others. I believe the OAK is safer for me because the place is VERY airtight. Not completely - obviously - but enough that if others are using the stove and don't understand the principle of negative pressure, carbon monoxide could/might fill the place with too many exhaust fans on at the same time. (Yes, I have alarms but have direct experience in observing people disregarding proper procedures when alarms go off!) Is there a possibility that I'm over thinking this and there would never be a problem - YES! Is there a possibility that it could occur - YES! So, I just think it is an extra step I can take to be a bit safer - needed or not. I'll sleep better in my home here while others are sleeping there!

I was interested in buying a quad explorer with enamel finish.What are the opinions of the experts on this product?Its going to be for a new house in zone six.House is gonna be around 2500 sq ft.

Just installed the Explorer III. So far so good. Just burns right along. I replaced a pig of a VC Encore that never burned clean. The Quad starts and burns much more efficiently. Once you get it hot it just stays nice and steady